Besson Leadpipe?

Amconk

Besson Leadpipe?

Post by Amconk »

Any of you techs ever tried to pull the leadpipe from
a besson sovereign? I’d like to try a couple press fit pipes on mine but the slide is aligned really well at the moment, and I see that allied doesn’t stock besson parts. I hesitate to screw it up. Just curious if any of you have any experience with them, any tips?
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto
Jnoxon

Re: Besson Leadpipe?

Post by Jnoxon »

Besson does not sell parts through normal places. What is the bore of the horn? Usually the aftermarket pipes are made in the most used bore sizes. Look for something other than Besson and you will most likely find something you will like.
J
Williams 4,6, 8, 9, and 10
.490, .500, .520, .520, .565 bore sizes.
Amconk

Post by Amconk »

It’s a .547 bore. I already have some pipes to try, just don’t want to end up destroying the inner tube and not being able to replace it.
Michael Conkey

-Jin Bao Alto
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Amconk wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:16 pm It’s a .547 bore. I already have some pipes to try, just don’t want to end up destroying the inner tube and not being able to replace it.
You might contact Benn Hanson or Dan Oberloh in Seattle.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I have never pulled a Besson leadpipe, so I have no idea what exactly is in there. Back in the 1990s, I briefly had a Besson large bore tenor. I don't remember the model number, but it was silver plated and had a Yamaha-style wrap in the F-attachment. I think it was a late 1980s, early 1990s model.

The strangest thing about th horn was that the receiver was larger than the standard bass shank morse taper. The mouthpiece receiver was tapered, so I am sure there was a leadpipe or mouthpiece receiver/leadpipe combo in there. In order to make it work, I made a very thin shim/mouthpiece adapter so that my bass shank mouthpieces fit in it perfectly.

I have heard stories from other trombonists about extra-large mouthpiece receivers on Besson trombones as well. Maybe someone like Doug Elliott knows more about the Besson trombones and their receiver tapers, leadpipes, etc...
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Amconk

Post by Amconk »

I’ve honestly decided to leave it alone. I’ve got plenty of project horns to tinker with, and I like how this one plays. If it ain’t broke, right?
Michael Conkey

-Jin Bao Alto

Return to “Modification & Repair”