Modular slides

JCBone

Modular slides

Post by JCBone »

https://diefesbrass.com/pages/introduci ... rial-slide
I thought this was an interesting concept.
Kingfan

Re: Modular slides

Post by Kingfan »

I agree. Very creative.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
boneberg

Post by boneberg »

Modular taken to an extreme? It seems like everything is now variable.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Oh man...they beat me to it! A fully modular slide was going to be one of my first projects when I retire in a few years and (supposedly) have much more time on my hands. The design presented here is a little different than my idea. I wanted to have threaded rings to connect the crooks.

One consideration is that the owner of such a system should always install the crooks with the slide tubes on a leveling bar or polished piece of granite and the tubes should be held in place with a weight...probably only a pound or two (a couple of large books might work). This would ensure that the tubes are parallel when the crooks are installed. Of course, the flaw in the system (as stated by the business) is that the outer tubes are vulnerable to being out of alignment. Proper storage and care is of utmost importance with such a system!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:36 am Oh man...they beat me to it! A fully modular slide was going to be one of my first projects when I retire in a few years and (supposedly) have much more time on my hands. The design presented here is a little different than my idea. I wanted to have threaded rings to connect the crooks.

One consideration is that the owner of such a system should always install the crooks with the slide tubes on a leveling bar or polished piece of granite and the tubes should be held in place with a weight...probably only a pound or two (a couple of large books might work). This would ensure that the tubes are parallel when the crooks are installed. Of course, the flaw in the system (as stated by the business) is that the outer tubes are vulnerable to being out of alignment. Proper storage and care is of utmost importance with such a system!
That's what I thought. It's probably too risky to be worth it. But I think it's meant for salespeople who want to help customers chose the best option on non modular instruments.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I mean, I kind of get it... but it's going to play pretty differently from a slide that's soldered together. Just seems like a nightmare overall
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Elow

Post by Elow »

The last paragraph says it’s just to learn off of, they don’t sell that particular product but they will modicum slides to put on a crook you like. I like the concept and have thought about it myself, but i don’t like how they did it. I would’ve done it differently

Return to “Modification & Repair”