71H - adding a second valve

BigBadandBass

71H - adding a second valve

Post by BigBadandBass »

Hey all, I've got a 70s era 71h that I really enjoy playing, straight stock closet queen, a beauty (minus some of the previous owners high school band scuffs). The one issue I have with it is the lack of a second valve, the way I like to play means that I use both valves often, and was wondering, how viable would it be for me to have a plug-in valve made for it by modifying another tuning slide to do that. I saw a Bach 50 with a similar mod done on brassark a while back with that and haven't been able to shake the idea of doing that with my single valve bass. Do any techs or vintage conn loyalists have any thoughts? The only issue I see is possibly needing to get creative with the wrapping and valve angle because of the stock wrap
Burgerbob

Re: 71H - adding a second valve

Post by Burgerbob »

A slot in valve on the F slide might be easier.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

It would be easier and cheaper to put in a permanent dependent valve next to the F valve. Doing the plug-in kind involves more engineering challenges to overcome. Here's one I did for a 60H. The wrap lends itself well to adding a dependent valve:

Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

brassmedic wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:06 pm It would be easier and cheaper to put in a permanent dependent valve next to the F valve.
Any thoughts on modifying the wrap to make an independent? I look the look at of the old wrap but I also enjoy indy setups way more
Peacemate

Post by Peacemate »

BigBadandBass wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:24 pm
brassmedic wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:06 pm It would be easier and cheaper to put in a permanent dependent valve next to the F valve.
Any thoughts on modifying the wrap to make an independent? I look the look at of the old wrap but I also enjoy indy setups way more
Move original wrap up a notch, shorten to G/Gb or keep current length and make a super long thumb trigger.
Add normal 90/90 valve below, make a Benge 290 style F or G/Gb as the other wrap. If G/Gb make a super short ring finger trigger.

I'd say cutting the original a bit would be the best way to do it. Won't stick out stupidly far.
Student in Sweden, usually looking for more trombones
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

I've done this several times. Pretty straightforward and the valves blow quite well, if not as well as a built in setup.
My 60H has been open wrapped F section with a slot in second valve...see the vintage Conn thread. I have also done slot ins for the standard F valve...you need the tube exits on the valve in the pattern of the standard second valve and a second F valve tuning slide to convert...also another F main tuning slide complete and a bit more tubing with a bend. Yes, it's a bit of work, but nice to have the removable facility.

Chris
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Peacemate wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:32 pm
BigBadandBass wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:24 pm

Move original wrap up a notch, shorten to G/Gb or keep current length and make a super long thumb trigger.
Add normal 90/90 valve below, make a Benge 290 style F or G/Gb as the other wrap. If G/Gb make a super short ring finger trigger.

I'd say cutting the original a bit would be the best way to do it. Won't stick out stupidly far.
Yeah, the original "open wrap" configuration valve would definitely have to be on top. Maybe have a Minick style S-shaped semi open wrap for the F-section and open wrap for the Gb section. Put wide crooks on both wraps and then the Gb won't stick out so far. Could cut and use a lot of the original tubing but would need to add some parts, I think. Obviously would be more work than dependent because you would have to completely remove and reconfigure the F-section.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Man, those vintage conns are some lookers, maybe once all the 40+ year dents are out of my horn I'll post it in there as well. But that indy minick 60/62H is exactly what I was thinking as a backup. I'd imagine costs comes down to labor, some tube and possibly two new valves?
Elow

Post by Elow »

Sounds like a fun project for someone, before after pics would be great if you can get them
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Elow wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:37 pm Sounds like a fun project for someone, before after pics would be great if you can get them
Oh that's the plan! I've been lurking on some older threads looking at some other mods, the goal is to take this closet queen and get her dressed up for the orchestral ball. Most likely at this point the additional valve and possibly cutting the bell, it's a two piece decently lightweight bell (I think!), but that's another can of worms.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Here's what the bone yard did for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
hbk73

Post by hbk73 »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have an Abilene 71h that I would love to add a d attachment to. Does anybody have thoughts on a valve or tubing? I have a local shop that is willing to do the work but said I’d have to supply the parts. Is it the same rotor as the f trigger?
sf105

Post by sf105 »

This doesn't apply if you like to play independent, but the great advantage of a plug-in is that you end up leaving it out most of the time and playing a lighter horn.
hbk73

Post by hbk73 »

I’m almost hoping to have the second valve because the 71h seems front heavy with that extra long slide. I really wanna add that dependant valve right now to the original one, I’m just not sure where guys are getting the parts. I’m not even sure where I’d find a plug in tuning slide type valve, plus the linkages are super long
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Nothing of what you're looking at is available "off the shelf". You will need a good tech, who has done this sort of work before.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

hbk73 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:43 pm I’m almost hoping to have the second valve because the 71h seems front heavy with that extra long slide. I really wanna add that dependant valve right now to the original one, I’m just not sure where guys are getting the parts. I’m not even sure where I’d find a plug in tuning slide type valve, plus the linkages are super long
If you’re not doing the work yourself, find a tech that doesn’t ask you where to get parts. They should know that part readily.

Cheers,
Andy
YunoWho

Post by YunoWho »

Hi, I am looking to add a dependent second valve to my 71h Conn. Any ideas on how much it might cost ish?
rizzo67

Post by rizzo67 »

I payed 1000 Euro plus tax for the dependant valve on my besson 743

Return to “Modification & Repair”