Old carry case restoration

CraigTbone

Old carry case restoration

Post by CraigTbone »

My father passed away on Christmas day. He was 94. One of his great loves was playing his trumpets and cornets.

I have his 1940 King Long Model Cornet. He did not maintain his instruments very well so it will go in to the shop for a thorough cleaning.

The case is in very bad condition. I would like very much to have this case restored. About the only part that would not be replaced is the wood frame and maybe the hinges.

The outside was painted a dull grey, on top of the alligator covering (leather? fabric?)and leather corner. All of that needs to be replaced.

The original latches have been replaced with hardware store latches. The inside padding and fur smells and is dirty and needs to be pulled out and replaced.

Does anyone know of a source for that sort of major restoration work?
elmsandr

Re: Old carry case restoration

Post by elmsandr »

Look for luggage restoration places near you. There's often one or two in large cities, so try something in Philadelphia. You'll probably have to talk them in to the idea and walk them through some processes, but they will have the majority in their house.

Unfortunately, most of us have to end up doing this work ourselves,
Andy
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

If you have the ability, DIY is the way to go. Otherwise, finding a reputable luggage repair shop will be quite a challenge. Expect to pay an eye-popping and wallet-draining amount of $$$$. I'd be patient and look for a case on eBay. Sometimes you have to buy a horn that comes with the case you're looking for and then resell the horn. You could put the sacrifice horn in the old case for shipping purposes.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Doubler wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:05 pm ... finding a reputable luggage repair shop will be quite a challenge. Expect to pay an eye-popping and wallet-draining amount of $$$$. I'd be patient and look for a case on eBay. Sometimes you have to buy a horn that comes with the case you're looking for and then resell the horn. You could put the sacrifice horn in the old case for shipping purposes.
:good:
CraigTbone

Post by CraigTbone »

Buying a horn for the case might work if I can find one with a good case.

What are the best places to look for a 1940ish cornet?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

CraigTbone wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:30 pm Buying a horn for the case might work if I can find one with a good case.

Obviously Ebay and Craig's List. Also Trumpet Herald.

I'd recommend against brick and mortar stores for instruments with cases, but some may have empty cases hidden away in an old storage area.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Is there a particular reason you want to keep the original case? It's not so difficult or expensive to find a new case or gig bag. I think almost all the instruments I've owned (mostly older than myself) needed to have the original case junked.
CraigTbone

Post by CraigTbone »

I would like my dad's case fixed up just for sentimental reasons. A good original case just like it would be ok.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

CraigTbone wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:30 pm Buying a horn for the case might work if I can find one with a good case.

Keep an eye on https://www.shopgoodwill.com/ , too.
Current instruments:

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Craig, can you post pictures of the case, inside and out?
CraigTbone

Post by CraigTbone »

I will attempt to do so tonight.
CraigTbone

Post by CraigTbone »

Here are some photos of the case.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

A luggage repair place could easily fix that. The case looks to be structurally sound, so all they would need to do is fix the outside material (vinyl?) and the leather trim. If desired, you could also get them to replace the material on the inside. I don't think it would be expensive. Tell them it was your Dad's instrument, and see if they can match the finishes as closely as possible.

I am getting a bass trombone fixed up that belongs to the University where I'm on faculty. I sent the horn for some work with Ron Partch in Toronto, and found a local place (Shoe & luggage repair) to fix up the case. It was in much worse shape than what you have here. The quote was reasonable for the case - business is slow for those kinds of shops these days.

Jim Scott
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

It doesn't look that bad. Can the paint be removed, maybe with a soft brush and spray cleaner? If it doesn't have to be taken down to bare wood and recovered, the rest would be relatively easy. The latches and handle look pretty good.
As far as the lining, you may want to attempt it yourself. It would just require taking it apart (probably held together with screws on the outside of the case) removing the old fabric, recovering the existing wood pieces, and reassembling.
I've done this, it is time consuming, but worth it in the end. If you choose to go this route, I can share some tips.
CraigTbone

Post by CraigTbone »

I have been trying to learn about my father's Long Model Cornet (that belongs in this case) on the web site "hnwhite.com". There are a number of catalogs in the archives. The description seems to indicate that the entire catalog is viewable. But I am not able to open any catalogs.

Do any of you folk know anything about the web site and how to view the catalogs?
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I commend you on keeping the original case in honor of your father. Is this the page you are looking for?

http://www.hnwhite.com/Cornet%20Page.htm
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
CraigTbone

Post by CraigTbone »

Yes, I found that. I am wondering if the full catalogs are available to view. Or maybe that is all that is available.

In the Collections section are photos of a silver Long Bell 1069 and it says it was limited production. I suppose that means the silver bell was limited, not the brass bell version?

I sent an email the White folks last week but have not received any reply.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

If all you want is a case to protect the cornet, you can buy a brand new one for $50 plus shipping from Dillon Music in New Jersey. (Good people.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Generic-Wood-S ... SwmoNfQDYq

If you want to restore the old case in homage to your father, that will cost considerably more.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

CraigTbone wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:52 pm Here are some photos of the case.

I've restored a couple of similar cases and worse. All it takes is time, skill, time, patience, time, inventiveness, time, patience, and the attitude that this is a labor of love, not profit. I think you've got the "labor of love" part locked in, for sure. Worst scenario would be replacing the stitched edges; they can be repaired, believe it or not. Did I mention time and patience?
Current instruments:

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau

Return to “Modification & Repair”