Brass tech in the uk

mattLockyer

Brass tech in the uk

Post by mattLockyer »

Hi all,

Dose anyone know of any good brass techs in the uk?
I have an 8H of the artist symphony flavour which I love and have sentimental attachments too (first proper trombone) so I don’t really want to get a new one and cost isn’t too much of a problem.

It really needs work done to the slide. All the contact patches on the slide are worn down and razor sharp (had a few close calls already) and there are a few spots of where on the legs.

I was also toying with the idea of adding a valve to it and having one of those loopy wraps on it (ik its shallow of me but they just look so darn good)
Any suggestions or recommendations of techs in the UK would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks
SwissTbone

Re: Brass tech in the uk

Post by SwissTbone »

I have heard good things about Adrian Jarvis.
And if course Michael Rath. I think they also do modification work.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
ronnies

Post by ronnies »

Bryce Ferguson at Brass and Woodwind in Edinburgh.

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Bryce Ferguson up in Edinburgh does grand work. And there’s The Wind Section store up there too.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

I use Jonathan at the wind section if it is beyond my skills/equipment. Adrian Jarvis does great work..just trying a trombone he has fixed the slide on...great work.
Mick Rath is amazing..if he has the time between his new instruments.

Chris
mattLockyer

Post by mattLockyer »

Thanks all for your fast replies! There is certainly a lot of chose.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Dave at Phil Parkers also does great work

Sharon McCallum in Wales is another, and Ade Jarvis also
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Same names as mentioned already Adrian Jarvis is brilliant. Mick Raths reputation speaks for itself. Also Rosehill Instruments in Beaconsfield does good stuff too.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Also, Gale Lawson in London. He was the first person to make my 82H slide playable.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Gale is outstanding and a perfectionist
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

I'm sure I saw on the Rath site that they are only doing emergency repairs during lockdown.

I use Bryce but am also familiar with the Wind Section. I'm sure there's a guy in Birmingham as well who does custom work but the name escapes me.

Ross
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Also Roy Cox is in Kent
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

Sharon McCallum has been living in Devon for some time now and the last I heard was that she was battling with some health problems, but still working.

Justin Pavey at BrassWindFix is another recommendation in the South West of England; he is just south of Bristol Airport.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

Abi in Dawkes (Maidenhead) has done work for me, and vastly improved the slide, though I've not had much need to go to techs, but some of the names mentioned already are familiar, like Adrian Jarvis or Sharon McCallum or Michael Rath.
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

When you guys mention Michael Rath it's worth noting that apart from Mick there are others there that will do an equally GREAT job....... Tom Wellings is awesome and even if Mick is otherwise engaged the others will take over. Tom does most of it anyway :clever:
brumpone

Post by brumpone »

A member here recommended Andrew Clennell near Birmingham, who gave me great service: http://www.clennellcustombrass.co.uk/
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

I've used both Gale Lawson (North London) and the Rath workshop (near Huddersfield) in the past, and both have done excellent work.

Several people I trust have recommended Adrian Jarvis (Merseyside) to me and I'm planning to visit him soon-ish to get a few bits and pieces sorted out.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Vegasbound wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 pm Gale is outstanding and a perfectionist
Gale will look at your problem, shake his head, and say he's not sure how it will turn out--and then do a fantastic job. It also helps if you're an old motorbike enthusiast.

S
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Several people I trust have recommended Adrian Jarvis (Merseyside) to me and I'm planning to visit him soon-ish to get a few bits and pieces sorted out.
Whilst I agree what has been said about Adrian I think you will find he is just outside London in Buckinghamshire unless he has recently moved and I dont know about it. He is a superb tecnician, possibly (contoversial) the best in the UK but, whatever, you wont be let down by his expertise I am sure... Doug
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

DougHulme wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:38 pm
Whilst I agree what has been said about Adrian I think you will find he is just outside London in Buckinghamshire unless he has recently moved and I dont know about it. He is a superb tecnician, possibly (contoversial) the best in the UK but, whatever, you wont be let down by his expertise I am sure... Doug
Ade moved a couple of years ago
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

You learn something new every day! I have used him a lot in the past, especially when he worked for Rosehill Instruments and would recommend him to anyone. He's a good Bass trombone player too. North West's gain Souths loss then... Doug
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

FYI Doug, it was announced over the weekend that Ade is now a partner of Fodens band as their repairer, he is also bass bone with Rainford band as well as being the low brass repairer for the RLPO

Return to “Modification & Repair”