How to avoid tension

Elow

How to avoid tension

Post by Elow »

So, i bought a bell for my shires and it didnt fit. The distance between tuning slide legs was too far apart, so i took the screw part off the post and cleaned it up and soldered it all back together with the tuning slide in to make sure it would fit, i thought it would be all fine. It plays strangely, and i dont know if its something i did or if its the bell, it doesnt really respond or ring as fast and long as my other bells. Ill record something in a bit to demonstrate. Anyways, im assuming i added some type of tension in my solder job, not really sure how i mess up one part so badly but i think i did. Would you have done anything differently?
ithinknot

Re: How to avoid tension

Post by ithinknot »

From the way you word this, I take it you only moved the rear post, but both posts might/will need to be shifted in order to keep the receiver parallel to the slide leg. The feel of fitting the TS dry will show up major issues, but you should also check the spacing of gooseneck/inner and bell/outer with calipers. (Of course, this assumes the TS is correctly paralleled already.) With the TS in place with the screws loose, does tightening obviously shift things? (Or vice versa - does the bell spring out when the screws are released?) Does it play better with the screws engaged but not fully tightened?

...and maybe you (also) don't like the bell.
Elow

Re: How to avoid tension

Post by Elow »

After playing on it for a couple hours, i think its the bell. Everything is perfectly parallel, and its just really heavy. Heavier than any of my other bells, even my screw bell. Its also just really powerful, and before i wasnt playing it right. Takes a lot of effort to get a good sound, but damn it sounds amazing

Return to “Modification & Repair”