Dented my bell before an audition. What should I do?

JCBone

Dented my bell before an audition. What should I do?

Post by JCBone »

As the title says, I have a dent in my bell and I have an audition coming up very soon. Don't have time to take it in. It's not terrible but it's noticeable. I'm worried that I'll make a bad first impression. Any ideas?
spencercarran

Re: Dented my bell before an audition. What should I do?

Post by spencercarran »

If it still plays fine, go to the audition and try not to worry. They'll be listening to your sound more than staring at your horn.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

If it doesn't affect the sound, don't worry about it
Elow

Post by Elow »

You could say it’s a new edwards treatment to help response and projection. But seriously, i don’t think it matters. There’s a video of toby oft on youtube playing a rochut or something with a massive crease in his bell, i don’t think it took from the performance in any way, same for rita payes, shes gots some dents, doesnt make her any less of a player
Last edited by Elow on Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

And you’ll have an excuse if you don’t pass the audition. :good:
Steve
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

The dent probably will not impact your playing ability. However....psychology plays a large role in one's performance well-being. If it will make your feel better/more comfortable on your audition, call one of your local techs and get it done tonight.

Bell flare dents are usually removed with a rolling tool. Some people refer to this tool as a "fast-Eddie." I have been told it was named after Ed Stege at Badger State Instrument Repair...the supposed inventor. I really don't know if that is true. Anyway, the tool IS actually very fast. Most people who bring an instrument to me with a bell-flare dent (and that is the only thing needing repair) are usually walking away very happy in several minutes or less.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Hopefully it's a blind audition and no one will ever see the instrument.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

go in and play your best - i've never judged a student by the shape of their instrument and i think (hope might be a better word) a lot of teachers and committees feel the same. if the music is there pretty much no one cares where it's coming from
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:40 pm The dent probably will not impact your playing ability. However....psychology plays a large role in one's performance well-being. If it will make your feel better/more comfortable on your audition, call one of your local techs and get it done tonight.
This! Even for a blind audition I will still dress up in slacks, button down, and nice shoes. Does it really matter? Of course not but I feel slick doing it and it puts me in a performance mindset. On that same note if my gear isn't at 100% I wont be in a mindset to perform at 100%.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Well, while MrDeacon commits suicide over the mute ding in his bell, just play your best. Remember, the damage won't have much effect on your sound.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Mrdeacon will sorely be missed. He has quite the inventory to be auctioned off 😜.

My two cent story is i dated a woman who bought me an 8H. I took it to rehearsal in my double gig bag. Getting out of the car, i put it in the roof (like a dumbass!) and it rolled off. The bell was pretty crumpled (the bass was unscathed). I had to play the rehearsal, all the while looking at what was a new horn. Drove over to John Sandhagens shop at Cal Poly Pomona, had it looking like new in 45 minutes. Actually played better. But it really messed with my head the whole time playing it like that.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Here's some evidence that it's possible to play at a very high level with a mashed bell:

Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player

Return to “Modification & Repair”