Adding a plug in valve to the f attachment valve on a bass.

JCBone

Adding a plug in valve to the f attachment valve on a bass.

Post by JCBone »

Has anybody done this? what are your experience doing this?
BGuttman

Re: Adding a plug in valve to the f attachment valve on a bass.

Post by BGuttman »

What kind of bass? The older closed wrap designs had valves that plugged into the F-attachment tuning slide. Never seen a successful plug-in for an open wrap.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:27 pm What kind of bass? The older closed wrap designs had valves that plugged into the F-attachment tuning slide. Never seen a successful plug-in for an open wrap.
It's a bit easier with open wraps due to the port arrangement. I've seen at least a couple.

As for OP, it's possible, but going to cost probably $1000+. I'd only do it to a horn that was absolutely worth it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:27 pm What kind of bass? The older closed wrap designs had valves that plugged into the F-attachment tuning slide. Never seen a successful plug-in for an open wrap.
I've done it to an open wrap...see the Conn thread.

Chris
octavposaune

Post by octavposaune »

I've built a few plug in valve basses, all open wrap. I have a build for April for the same. What is trickier are closed wraps due to port alignment problems and tuning issues. The 169 and 185 Holtons had a very special valve which was custom made with bent knuckles specific to Holtons. No other manufacturer made that setup. The Detachable D valve Yamahas were very different but much more elegant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Save searching, here's a shot....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

There were some Kanstuls that came from the factory with a plug in valve. Those were open wrap.
basunist

Post by basunist »

Hi!
I have tested at friends (Tbarh) Holton E185 w/plug-in and my thoughts are:
- Superb ergonomics !
- More open than other dependent system I have tested (Haven't tested any with "modern" valves yet...)
Coincidence, I don't know??
- Even the long "linkage-system" was flawless, eventhough I can see this could cause some hassle to
adjust?

Finaly: I want one! And I don't understand why ther's so few of them around?
I see many struggling with their bodies and think a plug-in, in many cases, could be the solution!?

Regards, Halvor
basunist

Post by basunist »

Hi!
This seeme to be a successful one!? :)

https://www.facebook.com/customtrombone ... 8243944578

-Halvor
sf105

Post by sf105 »

I had one made up for a 60H and then ported to a 70H when I traded. It works pretty well by my standard, but then this was before all the Thayers and Hagmann valves. The biggest problem is the length of the linkage back to the valve which can be a bit clunky. It also helps if the horn is naturally front-heavy. I'm pleased that I didn't cut either horn and it means I can play a single valve most of the time except when I really need it.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

I've done a number of them at M&W (inc. The one linked above.) I have a Reynolds single in at present having one done.

The plug in is a really neat solution, as the horn still plays like a single, with the added benefit of the second valve. The presumed 2nd valve lever "issues" are really not an issue, if the tech has an understanding of leverage and geometry.

Open wrap horns are actually easier to create the added valve section, because there are far fewer clearance issues. Traditional wrap horns need to be modified to ensure clearance of the rotor and the main tuning slide.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006

Return to “Modification & Repair”