Converting a bass trombone to a contrabass.

Hughes158

Converting a bass trombone to a contrabass.

Post by Hughes158 »

This is a naive question but is intended to Foster discussion as well. Would it be possible to convert a bass trombone to a contra? With a custom slide and tuning slides. Certainly enough extra tubing could be added and the bores would be thereabouts. Noting the weight and balance would be challenging.
FOSSIL

Re: Converting a bass trombone to a contrabass.

Post by FOSSIL »

No. It's that simple. Like sticking two valves on a tenor and calling it a bass...or putting black feathers up the back of a chicken and calling it a turkey.
There is a case for using something bass sized to play some Italian rep that requires a more compact lower voice...I use a bass in Bb/F/bE/C for such things...but I can't call it ( or charge for) a contrabass.

Chris
octavposaune

Post by octavposaune »

Hughes 158, there was a conversion once offered by Shires to convert to F. But it really just produced an F bass. I have a straight one that was re-engineered by the retired brass genius Robb Stewart. It did not work well prior to his F tuning crook extension rebuild.

What you get when you extend a bass bone to F is the worst of both worlds. You still have a crunchy low register but you get mellow mid and upper registers that sound funny. I can only play my F bass with smaller mouthpieces to even out the timbre.

That being said, since mine plays fine, its a hoot when I slot in some Shires valves. Its still not as broad as a modern through designed Contra, but pretty fun.

Also, no one is going to.sell you F baee slides. Shires no longer makes them, and the other makers that can make them will.likely.only.do so attached to an actual Contra

Benn
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

What about the Minnick /Reynolds G (Great)?... A bass or a contra?
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Isn't there a German manufacturer that still makes an F bass (not a contrabass)? Probably costs appropriately.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Tbarh wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:32 pm What about the Minnick /Reynolds G (Great)?... A bass or a contra?
Contra, based on the tapers.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Hughes158

Post by Hughes158 »

Thanks All. It is good to learn from those with experience.

I guess the hunt is now to find a reasonably priced F Contra.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

There are a few okay Chinese made Contra basses in F. Priced under $2500. I bought one a couple of years ago. Had the slide redone. Sounds and plays fine.

Fridge
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

FYI. Dillon Music sells one for $2995.

Fridge
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Well, if you want measurements for a G Contrabass, Hornguys / Ferguson music just posted some pictures of Jeff Reynolds Minick "G" Model #1 on Facebook, so you could ask.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

sf105 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:44 pm Isn't there a German manufacturer that still makes an F bass (not a contrabass)? Probably costs appropriately.
Hornguys has one made by Gronitz
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I built a BBb contra using 2 standard bass trombone slides to make a double slide, and a standard bass trombone bell with added tubing, modeled after one that was custom made by Conn. The customer loved it, but obviously not for everyone. As pointed out, doing one in F would require longer slide tubes, which would be a challenge to get. Might be possible to make one with a Bb length slide and have 2 valves to make up for the missing slide positions. Wouldn't be cheap, though.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I remember playing something Osmun made for Doug Yeo. It had 2 bass slides and a bell section that put it in Eb. I think they called it a "Bartok Bass". Interesting horn, though I had no use for something like that at the time (nor even now). I know Doug liked it and even referred to it on his Web Site.

As to a European F Bass, I tried something by Alexander at a NYBCS. It was in F with a valve for C. Slide had a handle. I was too poor at the time to buy it -- wish I had. Beautiful instrument.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Fridge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:06 pm FYI. Dillon Music sells one for $2995.

Fridge
Jeff Nelson plays a Dillon contra. I asked him when we were together playing a gig how he liked it. "I like the price" was his response. But Jeff can play anything well.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:55 am I remember playing something Osmun made for Doug Yeo. It had 2 bass slides and a bell section that put it in Eb. I think they called it a "Bartok Bass". Interesting horn, though I had no use for something like that at the time (nor even now). I know Doug liked it and even referred to it on his Web Site.

As to a European F Bass, I tried something by Alexander at a NYBCS. It was in F with a valve for C. Slide had a handle. I was too poor at the time to buy it -- wish I had. Beautiful instrument.
As I remember that Osmun/Doug Yeo horn, it was a straight F bass, with a double slide to avoid having to use a handle and it allowed the player to play the famous B to F gliss in the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra. Pretty sure that standard Bass parts were used for most of the horn. Edwards rents out a double slide that can be used on a regular Bass bell to allow it to do the same thing. It's a great idea, but definitely a "one-trick pony."

Jim Scott
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Adding tubing to a bass doesn't make it sound like a contra, you end up with an F bass. Conversely, removing tubing from a contra doesn't make it a bass, you end up with a contra in a different key. This works til about Ab, then issues arise. Its mostly in the bell and mouthpiece, but thats a gross oversimplification.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass

Return to “Modification & Repair”