getzen 725 eterna ii trombone badly dented

vintage00gypsy

getzen 725 eterna ii trombone badly dented

Post by vintage00gypsy »

I don't know anything at all about trombones. I tend to be given instruments. :idk: Would this be of value to anyone or should I scrap it? I didn't have the heart to just scrap it without reaching out first... As a musician, I am not capable of disposing of it without being 100% sure. So... Here I am... In a trombone forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mamaposaune

Re: getzen 725 eterna ii trombone badly dented

Post by Mamaposaune »

The bell looks as though it would need to be replaced, based on the extent of the damage, especially the folds in the brass. Doable, but whether or not it is worth it depends in part on the condition on the rest of the bell section. Is the rotor, trigger, f-attachment tubing and tuning slides OK?
Then there is the slide - it looks as if there is some red rot.
And it is an intermediate model, so even if it is fully repaired the costs may exceed the value.
Elow

Post by Elow »

If you’re throwing it out, i’ll take it
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The bell is almost certainly repairable. It might not look perfect after the crumples are rolled out, but it can be done by a tech who knows the craft. (I had a bell with similar damage, imposed by USPS, successfully restored.) The price will probably be less than you expect, and the results better.

The question is how is the rest of the horn? The Getzen 725 Eterna ii is a good trombone. If the slide, valve, etc. are in good shape it's probably worth restoring. By a GOOD tech. If you don't want to have it done, don't discard it - sell it to someone here who will pay for the project or who wants the useful parts.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Don't throw it away. It's hard to tell if the brass is folded over. There's a spot inside the bell that looks folded over, but on the outside of the bell it doesn't look so bad, so maybe that's an optical illusion? So many reflections in the photo it's hard to tell. It's actually not that hard to take out bell dents if it's simple mountains and valleys, but when you get complex "folded over" kinds of damage it becomes much more difficult. I would be reasonably confident that the part of the outside of the bell that's showing in the photo could be successfully repaired. You would have lines where the lacquer was stretched of course, but I still think it would be worth something to someone who wants a not too expensive intermediate horn.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
jtbandmusic

Post by jtbandmusic »

A decent tech can roll the bell out into shape in a few minutes, if the brass isn't cracked. The repair would not be pretty; the bent metal would loose the lacquer and leave brown streaks. I've seen it all the time on school horns.
The real question is the slide and valve; if they are not too bad the horn could playable.

John Thompson
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

That bell's honestly not so bad; the dents can be fixed. The bell on my main horn looked worse than that when I first got it.

Red rot on the slide tubes is a bigger problem. Is it still possible to get replacement parts? I believe Getzen has discontinued this model.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I agree with many of the previous comments. Bell looks like it could be saved......as long as there are no cracks in the metal. If you keep the present lacquer and repair the bell, there would be many scars. If you strip the lacquer and remove dents from the bell, it might have the potential to look almost new.

The red rot in the outer slide is a much bigger problem. However, replacement outer slide tubes can be ordered and installed. To conclude, the instrument could be rebuilt and be a viable option for a trombonist.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:37 pm I agree with many of the previous comments. Bell looks like it could be saved......as long as there are no cracks in the metal. If you keep the present lacquer and repair the bell, there would be many scars. If you strip the lacquer and remove dents from the bell, it might have the potential to look almost new.

The red rot in the outer slide is a much bigger problem. However, replacement outer slide tubes can be ordered and installed. To conclude, the instrument could be rebuilt and be a viable option for a trombonist.
I'd agree that red rot on the slide might be of more concern than the bell damage. I've seen good techs restore worse bell dents, as long as it is not cracked. I'd suspect that the outer slides will likely have to be replaced.
vintage00gypsy

Post by vintage00gypsy »

Ok so don't scrap it is the main thing here right?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I wouldn't. It's certainly not worthless. Your tech can get Getzen bells for like $300. So if for some reason they look at the bell and can't roll it out or something you're out only ~2-3 solder points for the bell + $300. Really it boils down to how much needs to be replaced. If your tech thinks the rotor has decent compression and the slide is repairable... possibly. However, you could also be looking for an excess of the total value of the instrument in repairs, especially with prices where they are now.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

vintage00gypsy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 am Ok so don't scrap it is the main thing here right?
Right!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

vintage00gypsy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 am Ok so don't scrap it is the main thing here right?
As Matt K said, the repairs might wind up being more than the likely resale value, but these Getzens are solid workhorse instruments. It would be a pity for it to land in the trash.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

spencercarran wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:33 am ... these Getzens are solid workhorse instruments. It would be a pity for it to land in the trash.

Return to “Modification & Repair”