Lever/trigger

havard

Lever/trigger

Post by havard »

I have always struggled with left hand pains on wide slides .

Then , i tried out used a thumb restbar without lever / trigger , see picture.

Finally i have no pains .

Would it be possible building a lever , making the thumb as it is on the picture, resting on the trigger?
Would the mounting of the lever then be on the neckpipe?
Please explain how.

The horn is a mt vernon 42 by the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonearzt

Re: Lever/trigger

Post by Bonearzt »

Hi Havard, would you still want your thumb to activate the trigger?
Wouldn't be too difficult to extend the lever to accommodate the thumb position.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

That looks cramped getting all your fingers inside that space between the two handslide braces.

Have you considered moving one more finger above the brace? The Yeo recommended grip?

There is a tradeoff. Your second finger is better placed to resist rotational torque along the slide axis. But with your thumb on the rest bar i would think that isn't needed.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Over the past 25 years or so, I have seen about a half dozen players with modified triggers that enable the player to put their thumb on the other side of the lock nut. The thinking behind this serves two purposes:

1. The thumb can help support the weight of the instrument and take the burden off of the other fingers (middle, ring and pinky), reducing the need to squeeze those fingers so firmly towards the palm.

2. It allows the hand to stay more compact and relaxed, eliminating the need for some players to "stretch" their thumbs up and around the trigger lever.

I do not have an example of this type of trigger extension with me (it can usually be attached to a Bach or Elkhart Conn style trigger), but this photo shows where the trigger would be....

https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... ew&id=9087
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I`ve had the same problem over the years. Doing my under-grad work on my 88H was difficult because it was hard for me to hold for long periods of time.
I now have a Bach 42BO. I`ve added the Instrument Innovations Axe handle to it
This makes all the difference in the world for me. It stretchs my hand out a bit and it`s so much easier to hold.
I can hold the horn for long periods of time with no discomfort
I`ve also modified my grip as to keep my hand away from the hand slide. I`ve had way to many accidents and
Painful blood blisters getting the end of my hand smashed in the slide.
This works for me
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I added an Axe Handle to my King 7B similar to how dukesboneman did to his Conn. Worked great for me.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Modification & Repair”