Hagmann Valves on Edwards Bass

Samdance

Hagmann Valves on Edwards Bass

Post by Samdance »

Good afternoon,

I am thinking about having a set of independent Hagmann valves built for my Edwards bass. I have played this horn professionally for many years as my primary bass, but also have spent a year playing a Rath with dual Hagmann's and really like the blow of those much better. The shorter throw is a win too.

I think the Hagmann's are much easier to play and sound just as good. My thayers have been rebuilt by Edwards, but are not nearly as focused or responsive.

Has anyone out there done this?

Best,

MB
WGWTR180

Re: Hagmann Valves on Edwards Bass

Post by WGWTR180 »

Do it!!!!!! Post pics!
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

I have never seen someone put Hagmanns on a Shires or Edwards and liked the results. I have ideas why but not confirmation. Go for it and let us know! But try to not alter your Edwards parts so you can just swap valve sections.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:26 am I have never seen someone put Hagmanns on a Shires or Edwards and liked the results. I have ideas why but not confirmation. Go for it and let us know! But try to not alter your Edwards parts so you can just swap valve sections.
I know one excellent player who had Rene Hagmann build a set specifically for his Shires bass trombone. He likes it a lot and sounds great on it; I found it hard to play in the high register as compared to my similar setup with TruBore valves.
Samdance

Post by Samdance »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:26 am I have never seen someone put Hagmanns on a Shires or Edwards and liked the results. I have ideas why but not confirmation. Go for it and let us know! But try to not alter your Edwards parts so you can just swap valve sections.
I have never seen one either, but the edwards is very close to a Bach 50 so I cannot imagine it not working. My thoughts were to have a complete Hagmann section made to just be able to swap them out.

Why do you think it isn’t a good swap? Please feel free to pm me...

MB
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Samdance wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:06 pm

I have never seen one either, but the edwards is very close to a Bach 50 so I cannot imagine it not working.
Edwards are much larger in the tuning slide and beginning of the bell than almost anything out there (including 50s). Hagmanns were developed with smaller horns in mind, I think.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I wouldn't be too sure of that; Hagmanns are put on Contras, after all. Granted they are different bore size, but same design. They have pretty large options available too nowadays. I think it would ultimately depend on which Hagmann valves you put on it. The larger, progressive bore ones would probably work well. If you have someone who has a set of regular rotors, it might behoove you to try that. If you like the way it plays with rotors, the Hagmann's split the difference much in the same way Tru-bore split the difference between Rotors & Thayers. At least to me. Rotors tend to be more focused/articulate and Thayers more broad. So if you want to forego a little bit of the broadness but less than rotors it could be a cool, albeit expensive experiment.

Return to “Modification & Repair”