Another Screw Bell Thread

tombone21

Another Screw Bell Thread

Post by tombone21 »

Hey all, hoping some techs or people that have had their bells cut can weigh in here. I'm wanting to convert my bell to a detachable flare, but I do not have a backup bell or trombone that I can use while the process is being done. The Shires factory is estimating around 3-4 weeks turnaround time once they receive my bell. Would it be just as well to have somebody else, still a highly qualified technician with experience cutting bells, to perform the process with, say, an Olsen ring instead of the Shires ring? I could stand to not have my horn for a couple days, but several weeks? I'm not so sure. Are there any problems or horror stories of people trying this and not liking the results? Does anyone regret NOT sending their horn to a place like the Shires to perform the task? Am I overthinking all of this? I'm worried that the ring may go in the wrong place or something and have adverse effects after the fact. Thanks Chattle!
ngrinder

Re: Shires Screw Bell Modification

Post by ngrinder »

I had J Landress cut my small bore Shires a few years ago. No regrets at all! It changes how the horn plays, but I like the difference. Feels more solid and rooted (the bell was very light to begin with though). I think most reputable techs could do the work, especially if they have experience with french horns.
Elow

Re: Another Screw Bell Thread

Post by Elow »

I bought a bell from a tech at shires and asked if he could cut it and he did it later that afternoon, not sure why it would take very long. Anyways, the shires screw part was pretty expensive, an olsen ring was $50 or something so. I know of someone who sent their horn to osmun brass and it came back looking really nice.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

What's the horn?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Elow wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:54 pm I bought a bell from a tech at shires and asked if he could cut it and he did it later that afternoon, not sure why it would take very long. Anyways, the shires screw part was pretty expensive, an olsen ring was $50 or something so. I know of someone who sent their horn to osmun brass and it came back looking really nice.
Bob Osmun has been doing screw bell horns for way longer than you have been around. And converting a trombone to screw bell is exactly the same degree of difficulty.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

I would be happy to do the work for you. I've done a LOT of screw bells, on both trombone and French horn, over the last 25 years. I have screw ring sets in stock.
M&W Custom Trombones.
[email protected]
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

I had John Sandhagen do mine, do not regret it in the least bit. He actually used a Shires ring- think it took 1-2 weeks to arrive at his shop in LA. I think it was like $150 or something?

like Nick commented, it changed the horn a bit, but subtly. it also has a super thing bell and it just solidified the low range a bit in really subtle but nice way.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:29 pm What's the horn?
The horn/bell in question is a Shires 2YLWT8, so it's also incredibly thin (especially at the flare) based on the TI, Conn-esque mandrel.

Has anyone on here had Chuck Ward or Stan Matras cut their bell? They are the closest to me where I could drive the horn to them.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

tombone21 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:16 pm

The horn/bell in question is a Shires 2YLWT8, so it's also incredibly thin (especially at the flare) based on the TI, Conn-esque mandrel.

Perfect candidate to get cut!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

I sure think so! I just ordered an Olsen screw ring to be overnighted on Monday, and will bring the parts up to Chuck Ward's place next week to cut while I wait! I'll post an update here. Chuck told me he's already cut 18 or so bells for the new Bach/Conn Artisan models.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

tombone21 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:37 pm I'm wanting to convert my bell to a detachable flare, but I do not have a backup bell or trombone that I can use while the process is being done.
This is the most weired sentence in the entire thread. You have one trombone only, an expensive custom trombone, want a specialized operation done, and you don't have even a cheap, used backup bone, any standard Bach, Conn, Yamaha of your liking? Never considered such a modest investment, just to be safe you always have a trombone in good functioning order? How comes? Just curious. ..
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

I’m not good enough to play 2 trombones at a time yet, but that’s why they have grad school I guess.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

tombone21 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:24 pm I’m not good enough to play 2 trombones at a time yet, but that’s why they have grad school I guess.
Nobody is suggesting you play two trombones at once. But if you only have one and it needs some repairs, what do you do in the interim?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

tombone21 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:58 pm I sure think so! I just ordered an Olsen screw ring to be overnighted on Monday, and will bring the parts up to Chuck Ward's place next week to cut while I wait! I'll post an update here. Chuck told me he's already cut 18 or so bells for the new Bach/Conn Artisan models.
that's great that Chuck is doing it. I used to love going to his shop when I lived in Cleveland- he's such a great tech!
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/

Return to “Modification & Repair”