Wessex warranty process

hyperbolica

Wessex warranty process

Post by hyperbolica »

Has anyone been through the Wessex warranty process? I love my Festivo, but it has always had what I suspected was a leak in the 2nd valve compensating circuit. I was finally able to verify this with some holes plugged and some soapy water.

I sent in an email, but haven't heard from anyone. I don't see a procedure on the website for handling this kind of issue.
ithinknot

Re: Wessex warranty process

Post by ithinknot »

You should get an official answer regardless - and the fact that it's not clear how to pursue the issue obviously isn't a good sign...

... but now that you know where the problem is, wouldn't it be far easier (and very possibly cheaper) just to have someone fix it locally? (I know it's letting them off the hook, but sometimes life's too short.)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

ithinknot wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:37 pm You should get an official answer regardless - and the fact that it's not clear how to pursue the issue obviously isn't a good sign...

... but now that you know where the problem is, wouldn't it be far easier (and very possibly cheaper) just to have someone fix it locally? (I know it's letting them off the hook, but sometimes life's too short.)
The problem is in a very tight spot between the 1st and 2nd compensating loops, which are right up against one another. I can hear the leak, I can feel the leak, I can see bubbles from the leak, but I can't actually see the the hole or crack or bad joint. It might be on the valve block itself or on the little compensating loop. I might get them to pay for the surgery here locally or semi locally. It's not a slam dunk fix. I'd be willing to be the fact that these tubes are right up against one another is a design flaw that led to either a tough manufacturing situation or a mechanical issue once it was put together. Plus, euph is my second instrument, and I've got 2 other euphs, so I'm not in a rush to get this fixed. I'd rather have it done right. I was thinking of trying to seal it myself, but there's no urgency.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Looking at the Festivo model online, I can see that those compensating tubes (1st and 2nd valve) are extremely close together! It sounds like your leak is the connection from the 2nd valve compensating tubing to the valve casing. That is a high-temperature brazed joint. Something like that should have never passed inspection at the factory. You have a very legitimate warranty claim there.

Your best plan of action is to get Wessex to fix it or replace the horn. Having a tech try to fix that could create some problems. I think putting a small amount of lead solder or low temp silver solder on it is a bad idea and it might not hold. I also think that having a tech attempt to re-braze it is a bad idea because it could change the shape of the valve casing and/or some of the nearby tubes.

Get in touch with Wessex and demand that they fix it or replace it!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Modification & Repair”