Jupiter 1240 RLT de-assembly?

Sander

Jupiter 1240 RLT de-assembly?

Post by Sander »

So, I've got this Jupiter 1240 RLT Bass in the case sitting for some love.

I want to clean it through and through, and because it's mostly built as a modular trombone, it's fairly easy to take apart one might think.
Still I'd not start such an endeavour without knowing what I'm going in to, so are there people that've been there and done that?

Maybe some tips, pointers or help (a YT tutorial would be cool, but none exist as far as I could find) to disassemble the horn, so I can clean it well, then assemble it back together?
Sander
sacfxdx

Re: Jupiter 1240 RLT de-assembly?

Post by sacfxdx »

I watched this to learn about axial valves( I have a XO 1240 RLT also). It may help you see what to expect with the valves. I still do not have enough confidence to do it myself. I have no doubt that I could disassemble them. I just don’t know if I could re-assemble them. :-) First time will be your hardest since you don’t know what to expect. If you have a tech in your area maybe he will let you watch him work on your horn.

Steve
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I have seen a couple of horns in that model (I believe you are talking about the axial flow model with the arch brace near the back) that had some tension in the bracing. Thus, pulling it apart and putting it back together may not be so simple.

If you are wishing to take it apart because you think the valves are sluggish, it might not be a lubrication issue.....it could be that something is putting a little bit of stress on the axials. It might be a good idea to take it to a tech and have that person demonstrate how to take it apart in front of you. They can also check it for alignment/stress so that your instrument is in good shape moving forward.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Sander

Post by Sander »

sacfxdx wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:59 am I watched this to learn about axial valves( I have a XO 1240 RLT also).

Wow, watched that right away and I must say, I am willing to try it, no problem.
I think I can do what she did, only I have to find out of I can polish my inner slide myself, as the red rot has gotten to my 1240RLT also...
Hope it isn't too bad, as it slides very well still.
My valves lock up when I turn the lockring tight, so for playing purposes, I have to turn them a half turn loose, which in my case, makes the horn resonate a lil' bit. Maybe after some service, love and time, it'll work as it should again.

Thanks for the top tip!
Sander
BHolleyBrass

Post by BHolleyBrass »

I've serviced a few XO trombones with axials and they needed more work than a typical axial flow valve cleaning. There was some sort of film in the bottoms (nearest the receiver) of the valve casings, which required some thorough degreasing and light abrasive work. After chemically cleaning and stabilizing everything, the valves worked correctly and the lock rings threaded all the way (no more rattling). Those horns were new "B stock" (ordered for store employees for deep discounts) from the same batch and shipped to us directly from KHS, so it wasn't a player issue. I think the lacquer prep person/people that day may have missed a few spots and the film was some lacquer overspray. Hopefully your cleaning will resolve the issues, but now you have an extra step to check if it doesn't.
S.E. Shires Ralph Sauer Tenor
AR Resonance ML GR1 72
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

"My valves lock up when I turn the lockring tight, so for playing purposes, I have to turn them a half turn loose, which in my case, makes the horn resonate a lil' bit. Maybe after some service, love and time, it'll work as it should again."

That's what I spoke about earlier. A valve should be set up so that you don't need to leave things loose for it to work properly. The problem could be any number of things....brace tension, and the assorted things mentioned on the previous post. I highly recommend you get it to a good tech so that the instrument is really set up properly. It makes such a difference in how the horn plays and you could learn some important things in the process.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Sander

Post by Sander »

I've taken it apart and cleaned it all lightly, with a brush on a rod, some detergent an a lot of handwarm water.
I've cleared up the lock in the F attachment valve, which runs freely now without problems (a bit of oil did also help).
the other attachment is better, but still, if I lock the ring, it jams up. Somehow I felt a little tension on the tubes when takin' em apart and puttin' em back together, making me think that it's not straight and need either sorting out, or accepting the faulty valve.
I think I'd go with the first option, as the valves should run freely in my opinion.

Thanks for the help so far, the video really helped me a lot while doing the works.
Sander

Return to “Modification & Repair”