Bach 42 Slide on 36K Bell Section

KingOfDreamland

Bach 42 Slide on 36K Bell Section

Post by KingOfDreamland »

I have a couple Bach 42 slides sitting around waiting for a bell section, and while I haven't seen any 42 bell sections up for sale recently, I did come across a 36K bell section for sale on Brass Exchange. I've done some reading on 36 bells with 42 slides, and it sounds like they play reasonably well (slightly narrower sound than a 42 but otherwise about the same). My concern is if I could do the same conversion with a 36K, and if it'd be worth it. I have a slide receiver off of a 42BO, but I'm not sure if the 36K has the same length for the slide receiver or not since the valve is totally different. Would anyone know if this would work?

Alternately, I'd be willing to buy a utility 42BO bell section if anyone has one they want to get rid of and the price is right. I'm just curious how the 36K bell section would play with a 42 slide, and I just might be curious enough to try it if a 42BO slide receiver would fit with some minor solder work.
Lead Trombonist - Bent Bell Brass Band, Omaha, NE
King of the Frankenbones! 2x Schiller Studio .547, Bach 36K/42B slide project coming soon, Conn 4H jazzer
Burgerbob

Re: Bach 42 Slide on 36K Bell Section

Post by Burgerbob »

Funny story, I'm having a modular horn made for me as we speak:

K valve section (from a 36K)
Large slide receiver (different length than all other 42 slide receivers)
Large tenon, wide 36 slide
42 slide
Straight 42 gooseneck

Corp 36 bell
Corp 42 bell
42G* bell

The gist of it is, the 42 receiver on the K valve is NOT the same length as all the others, from what I gather. Hopefully Benn can chime in, he's doing the work.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
KingOfDreamland

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:06 pm Funny story, I'm having a modular horn made for me as we speak:

K valve section (from a 36K)
Large slide receiver (different length than all other 42 slide receivers)
Large tenon, wide 36 slide
42 slide
Straight 42 gooseneck

Corp 36 bell
Corp 42 bell
42G* bell

The gist of it is, the 42 receiver on the K valve is NOT the same length as all the others, from what I gather. Hopefully Benn can chime in, he's doing the work.
I'm glad you chimed in, ironically enough I was just watching your video on the 36K from last year. I know you have a lot of experience with the K valve trombones, so I was hoping you'd have some insight. Thanks!
King of the Frankenbones! 2x Schiller Studio .547, Bach 36K/42B slide project coming soon, Conn 4H jazzer
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

BurgerBob,

Where did you get the wider 36 slide crook? Is it from a Shires or did you have one hand-made for you?
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:13 am BurgerBob,

Where did you get the wider 36 slide crook? Is it from a Shires or did you have one hand-made for you?
Shires nickel .525
KingOfDreamland

I reached out directly to Benn, and he said that the 42BO slide receiver is the correct length, but the K valve knuckle is a slightly larger diameter, so the slide receiver will need to be machined out. Shouldn't be terribly difficult, but there's some work that needs to be done to make it fit right.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

KingOfDreamland wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:01 pm I reached out directly to Benn, and he said that the 42BO slide receiver is the correct length, but the K valve knuckle is a slightly larger diameter, so the slide receiver will need to be machined out. Shouldn't be terribly difficult, but there's some work that needs to be done to make it fit right.
That was it! I'm glad you got the info from the source.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

KingOfDreamland wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:01 pm I reached out directly to Benn, and he said that the 42BO slide receiver is the correct length, but the K valve knuckle is a slightly larger diameter, so the slide receiver will need to be machined out. Shouldn't be terribly difficult, but there's some work that needs to be done to make it fit right.
Yah, this would fall under pretty routine stuff. I'm sure some would just make a reciever rather than buy one, its a very quick job ( 3-4 mins on one of my cnc lathes).
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
Elow

Post by Elow »

LIBrassCo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:46 am Yah, this would fall under pretty routine stuff. I'm sure some would just make a reciever rather than buy one, its a very quick job ( 3-4 mins on one of my cnc lathes).
How easily could you make parts to fit a bach bell on an edwards?
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Elow wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:09 am
LIBrassCo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:46 am Yah, this would fall under pretty routine stuff. I'm sure some would just make a reciever rather than buy one, its a very quick job ( 3-4 mins on one of my cnc lathes).
How easily could you make parts to fit a bach bell on an edwards?
You mean the actual hardware that goes on the bell? Not worth the time, usually i just order it.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass

Return to “Modification & Repair”