Edwards Venturi

derekcgullett

Edwards Venturi

Post by derekcgullett »

Hi y’all!

Just for my own curiosity, I’m wondering if anyone out there knows if Edwards’s standard .547” brass leadpipes have the same venturi as their silver counterparts (ie. T1 Brass to T1 Silver, T2 Brass to T2 Silver, etc.)? Given that the standard silver pipes are significantly longer than the brass ones, that would lead me to think that they may be different venturi-wise.

And what of the T1 and T2 Custom Artist (Formerly Alessi) pipes and their venturi? If I had to guess those would have a different venturi than the standard silver ones with them being slightly shorter.

I plan on contacting Edwards about it soon, but I figured I would ask here to see if anyone had some light that they’d like to shed on it.

Any of your knowledge is appreciated!
CalgaryTbone

Re: Edwards Venturi

Post by CalgaryTbone »

You may get better info directly from Edwards, but my (limited) understanding is that the standard numbers are the same in brass and silver except that they make the silver ones longer for better stability with that metal. I don't know for sure that there is no other difference. There used to be a Kitzman sterling T2 that was shorter. The sterling Alessi versions are shorter too, but I was told by someone that some or all of the material removed to make it shorter came from the front end of the pipe to get into the larger part of the pipe sooner. I don't know that this is actually the case, but the Alessi T2 does feel pretty open - more than the standard T2 or the Kitzman (which splits the difference). Maybe the Alessi is sort of like the 2.5 in the Shires pipes?

Take all of this as more my "take" on these pipes, rather than anything definitive. I'd be interested in hearing if you get any actual information from Edwards. They may wish to keep actual differences to themselves.

Jim Scott
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

The internal shapes of the Brass and Silver (non-artist) versions are made on the same tools to the same setup. The longer length is cylindrical at the end of the pipe. The last ~3" (eyeballed) is straight on the brass ones, a little longer on the silver. They may not end up exactly the same size due to the material properties, but they use the same tooling.

The artist ones are made with the same tools (that's why they get the same naming designation), but some things are different. I haven't bothered to measure any (don't think I have any anymore) to see what this difference means to the dimensions. If I had to bet, I'd guess the Alessi pipe had a venturi that was closer to the end of the mouthpiece than the standard 1/2", but I don't know that.

Cheers,
Andy
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

The removable and soldered in Alessi pipes are different from each other, as is the Artist pipe in the 396 AR.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony

Return to “Modification & Repair”