Yamaha 613H Bass Trombone Leadpipe Replacement

jrod93

Yamaha 613H Bass Trombone Leadpipe Replacement

Post by jrod93 »

Hello

Anyone out there replaced one of these before? I want to do some modifications to my bass bone. I realize that there will be an adjustment period but was looking at some options from those that use the Yammy Basses
WGWTR180

Re: Yamaha 613H Bass Trombone Leadpipe Replacement

Post by WGWTR180 »

That pipe is a very long pipe specifically designed for that instrument. Changing it out will probably be counter productive.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I have not replaced the leadpipe on that particular Yamaha model, but in the last year I have converted two other Yamahas from that vintage (early 2000s) to removable leadpipe systems. The horns were a bass and a .525 bore. The conversations were not a simple leadpipe “pull and done.” Many of the Yamaha models are constructed with a two-piece leadpipe (mouthpiece receiver + leadpipe). Thus the inner slide is shorter than full length and you need to replace the upper inner slide with a lower inner slide that is cut.

The Yammie bass leadpipes that I have seen are long and open (as WGWTR180 described), but I believe other leadpipes can be just as successful. I have seen Bach 50 pipes used on Yamaha bass trombones.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Just a footnote…….

With the present supply chain issues, it is tricky to get some Yamaha parts in the U.S. I am currently waiting on some Yamaha parts that were ordered back in late October. I am hoping they arrive in the next couple of weeks.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

I've had the lead pipe pulled on a Yamaha 613H and replace with one of the adapters so screw in lead pipes can be used. Contrary to speculation above, the 613H plays well with other lead pipes in addition to the stock factory pipe. Given that the 613H is based on a (modified) Bach 50, this does not surprise me. I like the 613H with a Shires 2, although the MK50 works very well too. The Stock pipe seems to have a more open venturi but gets some stability back from the longer length. This design works well but has a little different feel and may be more open than some might like. I've tried the Yamaha pipe in a Bach and a Shires and it works well on these horns too. No magic just a range of usable pipes on pretty standard horns. I could play on any of these horns with any of these pipes, but like the Shires 2 as it's very middle of the road.
Before going to the expense of pulling the 613H pipe, try an Edwards or Bach slide on the 613H bell section. This will allow you to see if you like the way it plays with different pipes.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

modelerdc wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:30 pm I've had the lead pipe pulled on a Yamaha 613H and replace with one of the adapters so screw in lead pipes can be used. Contrary to speculation above, the 613H plays well with other lead pipes in addition to the stock factory pipe. Given that the 613H is based on a (modified) Bach 50, this does not surprise me. I like the 613H with a Shires 2, although the MK50 works very well too. The Stock pipe seems to have a more open venturi but gets some stability back from the longer length. This design works well but has a little different feel and may be more open than some might like. I've tried the Yamaha pipe in a Bach and a Shires and it works well on these horns too. No magic just a range of usable pipes on pretty standard horns. I could play on any of these horns with any of these pipes, but like the Shires 2 as it's very middle of the road.
Before going to the expense of pulling the 613H pipe, try an Edwards or Bach slide on the 613H bell section. This will allow you to see if you like the way it plays with different pipes.
Following along some of these thoughts several have told me that a Bach LT50 slide works very nicely with the 613H.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I was told that the guys at M & W have done this with great success. The Shires 2 made one of the ones I had play much better. My two cents.

Fridge
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

There is currently a YBL 613H with an M&W modification on sale at The Brass Exchange, so Matthew has likely worked on this model. Matthew, if you are viewing this thread.....do you remember if the original leadpipe in a 613H is a one-piece or two-piece construction? This mostly for my curiosity!
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

The 613H pipe is 2 piece.

The other consideration with pulling Yamaha pipes is that they are cylindrical on the outside. (Haven't figured out how they do that, yet! Drawn with a carbide "donut"? Drawn and machined?) That makes getting them out a right pain, because you have to pull them "all" the way out. Unlike a regular pipe which only touches at the very top and bottom ends and isn't soldered on the exit side.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Yes Matthew, very good point! I remember one Yamaha leadpipe that was giving me fits a few years back. I think it was a YBL 421G. Removing that leadpipe turned into a family affair. My wife was holding the torch to keep the solder melted, my muscular teenage son was tugging at one end and I was tapping and wiggling things on the other end. It moved constantly, but it moved VERY SLOWLY because it was tight for the entire length.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Has anyone removed a stock Yamaha pipe from another bass model??

Return to “Modification & Repair”