Instrument Innovations valves

dukesboneman

Instrument Innovations valves

Post by dukesboneman »

I had a Instrument Innovations Rotary valve put on my Bach 42BO and LOVE it
Has anyone had any experience with their Bass Valves?
Burgerbob

Re: Instrument Innovations valves

Post by Burgerbob »

I had a 50 with them, but the cores were trashed. When it was awesome it was awesome, but usually leaky. The guy I sold it to just had the cores replaced and he loves it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I can`t seem to get the POP I used to get with my Yamaha 321 .
I have a Bach 50B3 now
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Well, it's going to be a totally different response, sound, and feedback no matter what... But better valves will sure make it more fun to play.
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

I love the sound, response, smooth and quick action of the Instrument Innovations Rotary on my Sonas Eklipso single valve bass. So much so that the Eklipso F/Gb independent valve section is already under construction... šŸ˜Š
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de AlmerĆ­a
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I have a pair that play really nice. I had trouble finding parts for them but that was before they made bends and ferrules. If I had a Bach 50 Iā€™d be tempted to put their thayers on them because of how nice Bach horns play with thayers for me. But the rotors are probably going to be a big improvement too.

If you do that, you might want to have someone make sure the rest of the beds are assembled okay. Iā€™m of the opinion that the closed wrap bachs sometimes play stuffy on that side not because they are closed wrap but because the assembly of them may be off. Iā€™ve played some killer closed wrap Bachs. Youā€™ll need to have your tech rework the wraps to some degree anyway because the Instrument Innovations rotors are bigger than the Bach ones and have longer arms.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Burgerbob wrote: ā†‘Tue May 10, 2022 5:29 pm I had a 50 with them, but the cores were trashed. When it was awesome it was awesome, but usually leaky. The guy I sold it to just had the cores replaced and he loves it.
I have had nothing but great fortune with the (Olsen) Instrument Innovation rotary valves. A couple of people have brought them to me and complained about leaking, but it turned out that the bearing plates were not in all the way. I used my home-made tool (a chunk of an old wooden chair leg with a perfectly flat end that has a circular cut-out in the middle), gave it a few gentle taps on both bearing plates (Instrument Innovations rotors have bearing plates on both sides) and the valves sealed perfectly. In those particularly situations, it was user or technician error and not the valves.

For the money, I think the Instrument Innovations rotors are wonderful. I am wondering if Mike Olsen replaced those cores free of cost. He really does stand by his product.
Last edited by Crazy4Tbone86 on Wed May 11, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: ā†‘Wed May 11, 2022 9:28 am
Burgerbob wrote: ā†‘Tue May 10, 2022 5:29 pm I had a 50 with them, but the cores were trashed. When it was awesome it was awesome, but usually leaky. The guy I sold it to just had the cores replaced and he loves it.
I have had nothing but great fortune with the (Olsen) Instrument Innovation rotary valves. A couple of people have brought them to me and complained about leaking, but it turned out that the bearing plates were not in all the way. I used my home-made tool (a chunk of an old wooden chair leg with a perfectly flat end that has a circular cut-out in the middle), gave it a few gentle taps on both bearing plates (Instrument Innovations rotors have bearing plates on both sides) and the valves sealed perfectly. In those particularly situations, it was user or technician error and not the valves.

For the money, I think the Instrument Innovations rotors are wonderful. I am wondering in Mike Olsen replaced those cores free of cost. He really does stand by his product.
He did do it for free I think. The tech that installed had overbuffed the cores, so they had amazing action but almost no seal.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Ahh! Thatā€™s why valve cores or pistons should never be taken to a buffing wheel.

There is something called a scratch brush that is used on a buffing wheel for cores and pistons. It uses no buffing compound. However, even a scratch brush should be used very sparingly on the internal valve parts.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

They're bloody awesome!
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Yes. I really like them on my Bach 50. They retain the ā€œBachā€ character, but are more consistent from register to register, and are not air hogs like Thayers.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
ā€”Mark Twain (attributed)
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

You'll be happier with Meinlschmidt open flows, best bang for the buck for a rotary valve.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass

Return to ā€œModification & Repairā€