Compatibility of King 7B slide with DuoGravis?

sf105

Compatibility of King 7B slide with DuoGravis?

Post by sf105 »

I have a DG SilverSonic that appears to have been around a bit. I've had the slide in for repair and it's serviceable but, frankly, not as good as it could be. I also have a lead on a 7B slide.

Does anyone know if the 7B slide will just work on a DG? Not least because I believe the crook for the SS's is a different material than for their brass horns.

Thanks all.

S
BGuttman

Re: Compatibility of King 7B slide with DuoGravis?

Post by BGuttman »

I'm pretty sure a 7B slide will work on a DG.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I've played DGs that have had all yellow brass, all nickel, and nickel outers/yellow brass crook. My favorite of the bunch was an all nickel slide (owned by Keith Jackson at WVU who affectionately refers to the horn as "Captain Crunch").

Worst case scenario, you could swap out the tenons/cork barrels on the 7B slide. You might also want to consider just replacing the outer with a butler slide. Friend of mine has one of those and it is UNBELIEVABLE. (Its not on a 6B, but they do make them for bass trombones.) It's a bit of a costly experiment but if it works you won't be sorry.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I've put a 7B on my DG and it worked. I only blew it for 10 minutes but got the impression all was OK. I also have a brass DG as well as a SS DG interesting differences when the slides are swopped, but I guess you would get that with identical horns too... Doug
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Resurrecting this thread. I have a 7B that has a slide older than the bell section, according to my tech. He thinks that is why the slide tenon doesn't go all the way into the receiver. Maybe a DG slide on a later model 7B? If so, I wonder of a 7B tenon could be retrofitted to the DG slide. Anybody have an educated guess?
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

If the OD of the slide tubes on the DG and the 7B are the same it should be possible.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

I believe the slide should fit, however be advised that the King 7B and the King 8B had similar slides but different leadpipes, and I don't know which one, if either would be the same as the Duo Gravis, so it might blow a bit different! Same comment apply to the Benge 290 slide.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

The horn blows nicely with the slide on there now. I just gotta find the right tenon, or find somebody who wants to swap slides...
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Modification & Repair”