Looking to screw bell my Bach 50A3

EZSlider

Looking to screw bell my Bach 50A3

Post by EZSlider »

Hey all, like the title says I am looking to do a screw bell conversion to my Bach 50AF3. Looking for a good tech.
I would greatly prefer not to ship, as that would bring the price up even higher. I live about an hour west of Albany NY. If the price is right I would have them trim my Gb to a G while at it.
Thanks for any help.
Eli
Last edited by EZSlider on Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Re: Looking to screw bell my Bach 50AF3

Post by Burgerbob »

Get the screw ring from Instrument Innovations. They have a 50-specific one.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

What size and gauge bell?
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
EZSlider

Re: Looking to screw bell my Bach 50A3

Post by EZSlider »

It is a 9 1/2in bell but I am not sure on the gauge. I amended my initial post to show that it is a 50A3 Hagmann valves not and AF3 Infinity valves. I had bid and won a 50AF3 on Ebay but to my surprise a 50A3 showed up. The seller and I came to an agreement and I was not terribly displeased. Due to that fact though I always remember it as an AF3. I believe it to be the strait stock 50A3. It was basically a brand new horn(customer return) I can not find a serial number on the bell, but only the slide.
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Schlitz wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:30 pm I have that ring set, from Olsen (Ins Inv). Very straightforward. Call Mike and git r done.
I spoke with Kim Olsen yesterday. Very quick response and very helpful. She informed me that they have a ring set
for the 50b and was not sure if it would fit my horn or not.. Any thoughts? Also she recommended Jeff Gittleson of Long Island Brass. Anyone have experience with him? He is about 4-5 hours away from me which basically puts it in the shipping territory anyway. Thanks for the help.
shider

Post by shider »

EZSlider wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:06 am Also she recommended Jeff Gittleson of Long Island Brass. Anyone have experience with him? He is about 4-5 hours away from me which basically puts it in the shipping territory anyway. Thanks for the help.
I assume the Forum User LIBrassCo is him ;)
He posts regularly on Facebook, so you can look at a few pictures there. Both under his private and company account. Definitely worth a look, though i never ordered from him.

Greetings,
shider
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

shider wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:22 am
EZSlider wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:06 am Also she recommended Jeff Gittleson of Long Island Brass. Anyone have experience with him? He is about 4-5 hours away from me which basically puts it in the shipping territory anyway. Thanks for the help.
I assume the Forum User LIBrassCo is him ;)
He posts regularly on Facebook, so you can look at a few pictures there. Both under his private and company account. Definitely worth a look, though i never ordered from him.

Greetings,
shider
Haha I realized about two seconds after posting that LIBrassCo is very likely him.
That bodes well for him I suppose.
Feel free to contact me if that is you Jeff.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Yup, thats me. Kim and I discussed your bell, and what ring they have. Im not sure if the gauge has any effect on fitment, it theory it could. I'll follow up to see if their ring is for that size bell, which id guess it is.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Very good friend, thank you. Just spent a few checking out your work. Very very nice stuff! I also enjoyed Yeo's novel on altobone.. As I stated in the initial post I would also like to trim my Gb to G.. I toyed around with the idea of trimming it myself, and honestly probably would/could have, but why bother if I need it to go to a tech for the ring anyway. I envy your shop :D I am a metal worker/ fabricator/ plumber/ pretty much you name it, but lack a lot of the tooling that would enable me to do much of what I desire. I look forward to hearing more from you, and hopefully getting to work with you on this project.
I am in Oneonta NY by the way.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The ring will fit. It's for 50s.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Schlitz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:17 pm
EZSlider wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:06 am I spoke with Kim Olsen yesterday. Very quick response and very helpful. She informed me that they have a ring set
for the 50b and was not sure if it would fit my horn or not.. Any thoughts? Also she recommended Jeff Gittleson of Long Island Brass. Anyone have experience with him? He is about 4-5 hours away from me which basically puts it in the shipping territory anyway. Thanks for the help.
Just keep in mind he’s a former fitness equipment salesman, pop tart eater, and generally slow on the intake of online sarcasm. He has some interesting work, a lighter horn in Db, and other curious creations. It doesn’t appear, from what I’ve searched, that he plays saxophone, or viola. I wouldn’t want someone playing one of those instruments, working on my horns.

Yeah, if Kim recommends him, it’s probably/reasonably safe to send your horn to him.

I have really low expectations on repair/modifications, but I’m guessing he’s more than capable. If he was really capable, he’d have a compact, front action, compensating euphonium for left handed people. Dumbbells to screwbells......oh well.....

Put the horn in the mail and hope for the best......
Im not sure where you got fitness equipment salesman from (of all the things I've done, that's not one of them), and i don't know what pop tart eater is suposed to mean, but i doubt you mean anything good.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

EZSlider wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:01 am Very good friend, thank you. Just spent a few checking out your work. Very very nice stuff! I also enjoyed Yeo's novel on altobone.. As I stated in the initial post I would also like to trim my Gb to G.. I toyed around with the idea of trimming it myself, and honestly probably would/could have, but why bother if I need it to go to a tech for the ring anyway. I envy your shop :D I am a metal worker/ fabricator/ plumber/ pretty much you name it, but lack a lot of the tooling that would enable me to do much of what I desire. I look forward to hearing more from you, and hopefully getting to work with you on this project.

Awesome man. It may be more than just a trim to get to G, I have to see the horn. Can you post some photos?
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Hit up John Sandhagen in California. He cuts bells frequently and does fantastic work. He's even putting new valves on my Minick as we speak! A job I wouldn't give to just any random tech!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

LIBrassCo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:07 pm
EZSlider wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:01 am Very good friend, thank you. Just spent a few checking out your work. Very very nice stuff! I also enjoyed Yeo's novel on altobone.. As I stated in the initial post I would also like to trim my Gb to G.. I toyed around with the idea of trimming it myself, and honestly probably would/could have, but why bother if I need it to go to a tech for the ring anyway. I envy your shop :D I am a metal worker/ fabricator/ plumber/ pretty much you name it, but lack a lot of the tooling that would enable me to do much of what I desire. I look forward to hearing more from you, and hopefully getting to work with you on this project.

Awesome man. It may be more than just a trim to get to G, I have to see the horn. Can you post some photos?
Sure thing.. Will post some tomorrow.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

mrdeacon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:08 pm Hit up John Sandhagen in California. He cuts bells frequently and does fantastic work. He's even putting new valves on my Minick as we speak! A job I wouldn't give to just any random tech!
I'd be happy to provide samples of my work, well beyond fitting valves, as I'm not "just any random tech".
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

This link is to an Olsen valve section i made, and you can follow it to the rest of my photos for anyone interested.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

LIBrassCo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:16 pm
mrdeacon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:08 pm Hit up John Sandhagen in California. He cuts bells frequently and does fantastic work. He's even putting new valves on my Minick as we speak! A job I wouldn't give to just any random tech!
I'd be happy to provide samples of my work, well beyond fitting valves, as I'm not "just any random tech".
Oh sorry man. I didn't mean that one as a crack on you! I'm just a fan of John. I do think you do fantastic work! You did some work on a 62H recently that I thought looked great!

In hindsight I realize it looked like I was implying your work wasn't the best considering previous comments in the thread.
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

mrdeacon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:25 pm
LIBrassCo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:16 pm I'd be happy to provide samples of my work, well beyond fitting valves, as I'm not "just any random tech".
Oh sorry man. I didn't mean that one as a crack on you! I'm just a fan of John. I do think you do fantastic work! You did some work on a 62H recently that I thought looked great!

In hindsight I realize it looked like I was implying your work wasn't the best considering previous comments in the thread.
Hah no worries! Thanks, that Conn came out really nice, I'll get photos of that up soon!
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Here are a few shots of my horn. There are no braces that would be in the way it seems. Would like to talk about the possibility of adding braces to make tuning simpler.
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

For some reason it will not let me post them.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Personal attacks will not be tolerated!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Sent you an Email Jeff
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

EZSlider wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:44 am Sent you an Email Jeff
I'll take a look shortly and get back to you!
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Possibly still in the market for a tech.
MalecHeermans

Post by MalecHeermans »

Josh Landress would be the best choice to get it done within shooting distance and a very high chance of satisfaction.

I've had LOTS of things done over the years by storied techs with varied success and I can vouch for the standard set at Josh's shop.
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Thanks for the heads up, sent them an email a few days ago.. Waiting for a reply now.
Still open to other folks too. Seem I will be shipping my horn so distance is not such an issue. Would like to get this project done by someone who really knows there stuff, also soon.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

I've lost count of the number of bells I've cut (including french horn and trombone). Honestly, I would be wary of cutting a Bach bell. In our experience, 1 piece bells do not benefit from having it done, and can become "stiff" in response. 2 piece bells are much more "accepting" of the change, with little to no disadvantage in playability. In fact we (M&W) do not offer screw bells on 1 piece flares for this reason.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Does anyone watching this thread play a 50 with a cut bell?
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yup.
Ndwood

Post by Ndwood »

Yep - Josh cut my 50A3’s bell a few years ago. If it was an exceptional bell I would have just let it be, but it’s pretty average and being able to fit it in a much more compact case was definitely worth having it done.
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Thanks guys.. Yeah I am not a pro and don't have any real plans to be. I play everyday and travel fairly often, and the ability to have my largest horn be a lot smaller when I want it to be is very desirable.
Aiden I assume that you are speaking of the horn in your most recent vid? Like I commented there I have reached out to John about my protect also, but no response yet.
Ndwood.. Thanks.. That for sure boost the chances of Josh doing mine also. Sent you a pm
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I've had two screwbelled 50s now. On my second in that video!

If you need, I can hit up John.
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

If you don't mind that would be great, I am in a bit of a time crunch to pick a tech, as my horn is on its way to Seattle to BrassWinds to get some Warranty work done, and I would like to have it sent to my tech of choice from there to save on shipping.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

If it's going to Seattle, Benn Hansson is local and could do it for you!
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

I had thought of him as well.. Who do you think would be the best fit? Also that would have a decent turn around?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Benn would be able to do it there and has plenty of experience. Shouldn't take too long!
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

I will shoot him an Email.. thanks for the help Aiden.. And all the great vids. Been watching them for some time. Kinda funny to be chatting with you.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

EZSlider wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:31 pm Thanks guys.. Yeah I am not a pro and don't have any real plans to be. I play everyday and travel fairly often, and the ability to have my largest horn be a lot smaller when I want it to be is very desirable.
Aiden I assume that you are speaking of the horn in your most recent vid? Like I commented there I have reached out to John about my protect also, but no response yet.
Ndwood.. Thanks.. That for sure boost the chances of Josh doing mine also. Sent you a pm
John gets busy and he sometimes isn't the best at answering those initial emails, like most techs. He's very good about communicating once you establish that initial communication, again like most techs.

Send him another email in a few days if he still hasn't gotten back to you.
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

There are other ways to contact John on his webpage contact us link

https://www.theboneyard-ca.org/index.html
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Backbone wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:12 pm There are other ways to contact John on his webpage contact us link

https://www.theboneyard-ca.org/index.html
He's really good about phone calls as long as he's in his shop! Didn't think anout that. Duhhh :pant:
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Seems hopeful that Benn will be doing the work for me!
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Benn Hansson has my horn! Will post up some pics when I get it back
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Here are a few shots Benn sent me. Should have my horn Wed or Thurs!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MahlerMusic

Post by MahlerMusic »

Very nice. It looks like you will still have the Gb option.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

MahlerMusic wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:52 pm Very nice. It looks like you will still have the Gb option.
Yeah Benn worked up some slide extensions out of the scrap! I thought it would be nice to have the option of setting it back.

Return to “Modification & Repair”