Lacquer technician recommendation sought

wwright

Lacquer technician recommendation sought

Post by wwright »

Anyone have a recommendation for a shop that could re-lacquer a slide section? I don't know much about lacquering but it seems like a specialty that not everyone is equipped to do. Someone local to me around the Washington DC area would be preferable, but mailing the slide is not out of the question. I'm not looking for anything fancy -- it just has some lacquer damage that I'd like to put back to original condition. It's a Courtois AC420 in case that matters.

Also, any ballpark idea of what this should cost?
JoeAumann

Re: Lacquer technician recommendation sought

Post by JoeAumann »

It seems tough to find good re-lacquer work. And it depends on what you want/are ok with. There are plenty of technicians that can apply a spray on/air dry lacquer. That won't be the original approach, but can yield good results. And then there are those who are equipped with baked on epoxy lacquer set-ups (more durable, less ubiquitous). And this would be the factory original approach. A short list of folks with the latter: M&W Custom Trombones, Brian Russell, Brad Close (I think), Robb Stewart, John Uttech. Sorry, not as familiar with the eastern seaboard.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

I can do the air dry lacquer.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Don Sawday does Lacqeur, and he bakes it.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
wwright

Post by wwright »

Thanks much for the leads. I wasn't aware that there were different kinds of lacquer so that's very helpful. Sounds like I'd prefer the stronger epoxy lacquer (my skin oils tend to eat through lacquer) but that will be harder to find.
wwright

Post by wwright »

Thanks again for the replies. I thought I'd post what happened in case anyone else is ever in similar need of lacquering work. I ended up taking it to Mizell Music in Hagerstown, Maryland. They have the equipment and whatever to do the epoxy lacquer. Larry there was great to work with and even arranged for me to drop it off and pick it up the same day so I could just make one trip out there. I suppose only time will tell how it holds up, but it looks good now. :good:
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

wwright wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:35 am Thanks again for the replies. I thought I'd post what happened in case anyone else is ever in similar need of lacquering work. I ended up taking it to Mizell Music in Hagerstown, Maryland. They have the equipment and whatever to do the epoxy lacquer. Larry there was great to work with and even arranged for me to drop it off and pick it up the same day so I could just make one trip out there. I suppose only time will tell how it holds up, but it looks good now. :good:
I got their contact info from Dillon a few years ago so if they're good enough for Dillon to ship to all the way from NJ it should be good!

Return to “Modification & Repair”