Looking for a music bag.

Bach5G

Looking for a music bag.

Post by Bach5G »

Specifically, an o-t-s bag big enough to carry an orchestral music folder (approx. 14” x 14”), reasonably water resistant, with a flap to keep the rain out. Just about everything I’ve found tends to be too small (usually not wide enough) or too bulky, eg backpacks and rucksacks.
FullPedalTrombonist

Re: Looking for a music bag.

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

I like Carhartt’s hybrid backpack tote
I almost bought one as city weekend bag. It should fit a 14” folder easy
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Gator mixer bag (1212) would work, keep your computer in it too.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

Timbuk2 makes a variety of bike messenger bags that are water repellant and easily accept large folios and other outsize objects; would work well for this application.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079B ... UTF8&psc=1. I get a music stand, trombone stand, seat cushion, water bottle, music folder, mutes, and writing implements into it at the same time. Plus it has wheels.
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

I use a laptop backpack for my music, chromebook, mutes, ... that leaves my hands free for whatever else
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Let’s review the specs shall we? Big enough to carry an orchestra music folder, ie. about 14” x 14”. Water resistant (it rains all winter here) with a flap.

I’m in Canada, eh. If I wanted a carry-all, I’d head down to the sporting goods store and buy a goalie bag.
FullPedalTrombonist

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

Bach5G wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:48 am Let’s review the specs shall we? Big enough to carry an orchestra music folder, ie. about 14” x 14”. Water resistant (it rains all winter here) with a flap.

I’m in Canada, eh. If I wanted a carry-all, I’d head down to the sporting goods store and buy a goalie bag.
This is from Carhartt’s site page of the bag I suggested

1200-denier heavy-duty polyester
Dimensions: 17" x 14.5" x 3.5"
Rain Defender® durable water repellent (DWR) keeps your gear dry in light rain
Shoulder straps and carry straps for versatile use
Large main compartment
Padded laptop compartment
Two slash pockets
Outer zip pocket
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I have a Samsonite leather briefcase that looks sharp that I use for lesson materials, but the one I have only reasonably holds 8.5x11 or similar sized paper. I looked around their store, and they do have what they call a "Quadrion Messenger Bag" that fits your dimensions. All the Samsonite stuff is expensive, though - but the term "messenger bag" may be worth checking out in other manufacturers.

https://shop.samsonite.com/backpacks-ba ... briefcases
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I see Protec has a portfolio case that seems to be built exactly for the purpose.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Roots makes some really nice classic leather briefcases/messenger bags. They're not exactly cheap, but very well made and durable (and made in Canada) and if something breaks you can have Roots fix it. They have a couple models that fit 15" laptops (mine actuallyfits my Acer 15.6" with a bit of room to spare), and will also fit pretty much any size music in them (I carry 9x12, 10x13, Legal, B4 no problem; Tabloid is pushing it a bit, it will go in but the edges or corners might suffer, as the bags are 17"). Over the shoulder, so easy to carry while also carrying a trombone with backpack straps.

Won't fit a 14x14 music folder without damaging the folder handle (I assume 14x14 are those extra wide folders with a handle?), but frankly there are very few satisfactory bag options that will take those folders, and getting better folders is probably an easier and better solution. I use hardcover folders, which are available in various sizes slightly larger than most paper sizes (or which you can easily DIY) and which protect the music well during carriage. They're also very useful when playing from portable music stands.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

Some great stuff in this thread. I understand it's not an over-the-shoulder option (or over-the-anything really), but I'd like to include an addition from biggiesmalls from the mouthpiece storage thread.
biggiesmalls wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:42 pm Recently I've been buying up these old heavy duty Super 8 projector cases that hold up to eight cartons, or 48 mouthpieces. Great for carrying music as well!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Accessories”