M/K Leadpipes

NordicTrombone

M/K Leadpipes

Post by NordicTrombone »

I´m looking to try some different leadpipes and materials on my Yamaha 882OR and M&K drawing seems like a wonderful option. But as I do not live in the US returns are difficult and something I want to avoid.

And that brings me to my question: Have any of you compared the MV42 and MV42O models? How big is the difference? And also, has anyone compared it to a standard Xeno pipe in terms of openness? For reference, I found a Shires 2L too open for the Xeno.

Thanks for any thoughts and experiences :good:
Kbiggs

Re: M/K Leadpipes

Post by Kbiggs »

I have both pipes in yellow brass for my Bach 42B, which is outfitted with an Instrument Innovations rotary valve. Both pipes work well. The standard pipe has more clarity and slots a little better than the open, which is more flexible and slightly broader sounding and feeling. I have no idea what they might sound and feel like in a Yamaha. If you have the Bach-like Yamaha, I can imagine it might be similar.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

Kbiggs wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:21 pm I have both pipes in yellow brass for my Bach 42B, which is outfitted with an Instrument Innovations rotary valve. Both pipes work well. The standard pipe has more clarity and slots a little better than the open, which is more flexible and slightly broader sounding and feeling. I have no idea what they might sound and feel like in a Yamaha. If you have the Bach-like Yamaha, I can imagine it might be similar.
Did you ever compare them to a stock 42 pipe?
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

NordicTrombone wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:53 am Did you ever compare them to a stock 42 pipe?
No, unfortunately. The stock pipe was ruined when it was removed. I have a Bach 42 Open and a 42 Long Open, but I prefer the M/K 42. It’s more even sounding and feeling amongst registers.
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

Different question: Has anyone compared the M/K MV42 pipes to Shires pipes in terms of openness?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

NordicTrombone wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:14 am Different question: Has anyone compared the M/K MV42 pipes to Shires pipes in terms of openness?
Not personally, but typically "Bach" style leadpipes are similar to Shires 1.5. I'd guess a 42 open might be closer to a 1.5S or maybe a 2.
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

Kbiggs wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:27 am
NordicTrombone wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:53 am Did you ever compare them to a stock 42 pipe?
No, unfortunately. The stock pipe was ruined when it was removed. I have a Bach 42 Open and a 42 Long Open, but I prefer the M/K 42. It’s more even sounding and feeling amongst registers.
I forgot to ask you, does the MK42 standard play as open as the 42 open or does that one compare closer to the MK42O?
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

M/K Mv 42 is slightly longer than Shires. And is a little more open than Shires 1.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

Brass ark Mv 42 is slightly shorter than Shires. Also a very good pipe. I don’t feel much difference in openness from the M/K 42.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

NordicTrombone wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:43 am
Kbiggs wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:27 am

I forgot to ask you, does the MK42 standard play as open as the 42 open or does that one compare closer to the MK42O?
The Bach standard open feel quite a bit more open than the MK42O, and sounds “wider” as well. It also projects like crazy, but it’s difficult to center in the upper register. It’s a great 2nd trombone leadpipe!
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I'm sorry to sound naive, but......I have never seen a MV42 "open" on the M/K Drawing website. I have only seen the MK leadpipe that is the regular MV42. Where is it on their website?
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:36 pm I'm sorry to sound naive, but......I have never seen a MV42 "open" on the M/K Drawing website. I have only seen the MK leadpipe that is the regular MV42. Where is it on their website?
The website is not easy to navigate so I am not surprised! Here is a link:
https://www.mkdrawing.com/product-categ ... gs/page/2/
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Thanks NordicTrombone!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Accessories”