Hand support for a DuoGravis?

sf105

Hand support for a DuoGravis?

Post by sf105 »

Any recommendations for a hand support for a King Duo Gravis? It still has the original thumb triggers. I've tried my Get-A-Grip, but it's not comfortable with King's unusual placing of the support post to the bell. I have a Rath pad lying around but I'm wary of clamping it to the curved post.

For now, I find that the Yeo grip helps but has anyone found a better solution (not including splitting the triggers)?

Thanks all
S
pompatus

Re: Hand support for a DuoGravis?

Post by pompatus »

You might check out the support strap from Yamaha or Leather Specialties. Here's a link to the Yamaha one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YAC1535P- ... B009NMHPDG

The Neotech grip is also very popular, but I don't know how well it would fit with the Duo Gravis brace arrangement. Here's a link to that, as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Neotech-5131001- ... 0040ZNMNI/

Best of luck in your search for a solution!
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

That's the reason I stopped playing my Duo Gravis. And it had the split triggers so that won't make a difference anyway. It's too bad because I owned the #4 prototype. :(
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If you don't want to split the trigger, you can make the second one a little lower so that you don't have to raise your thumb to depress both levers. I had one that was also separated a little for more easier access but both of those involve the torch. I also use a Neotech on the horn that I have a Duo Gravis linkage installed on (tip of the hat to Eric Edwards for managing to find one of them for me!)
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

WGWTR180 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:52 am That's the reason I stopped playing my Duo Gravis. And it had the split triggers so that won't make a difference anyway. It's too bad because I owned the #4 prototype. :(

Are they particularly uncomfortable?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:20 amAre they particularly uncomfortable?
For some people the stock D-G setup is excruciating uncomfortable. For others, it's the best thing they've ever tried. No accounting for taste and/or anatomical variation.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Try the Axe Handle.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I don't think anything like the Get-A-Grip, Ax Handle, or Greenhoe Rest is going to work. They're all designed to work with instruments where the bell brace is behind the thumb. Maybe something like the Rath Hand Support?
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

The bell brace is perfectly placed to solder a single bar straight out from it and it will sit perfectly on the back of your hand. even more so if you split the triggers - if you split the triggers then retain the original trigger bar but move the 'F' trigger out to the further point on the saddle - makes the F trigger much more comfortable. Mine was done by a tech in Denmark but theres a whole bunch of guys on here like Eric edwards or John Sandhagen who could it for you easily. But a bit expensive for what you want may and no turning back once the blow torch is out!

Doug
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

Hello all : I would be delighted to have all of my instruments outfitted with the King double trigger setup. Activate the "F'" trigger with a "straight" thumb and then activate the "D" trigger by bending your thumb at the first joint --- that's the plan. The trick that I used to make it a fluent movement was to attach an 1/8" pad to the "F" trigger so that when it is depressed, the outer surface of the "F" trigger aligns with the outer surface of the "D" trigger, making the activation of the "D" trigger a simple bending of the thumb at the first joint. It may be a bit difficult to visualize, but it definitely improves the common complaint of having to RAISE your thumb to activate the "D" trigger. I'm sure that this is a case of "One picture is worth a thousand words", but it is a very effective solution. It involves setting the levers carefully so that once the "F" trigger has been depressed, the surface of the "F" trigger is parallel to the surface of the "D" trigger. This is NOT rocket science ! I found a suitable pad of rubber material, used rubber cement to secure it lightly to the trigger surface and then used an electrical shrink-wrap tube to tightly secure it to the trigger surface. It's worked like a dream for me for a LONG time. Try it ---- You'll like it !
So far as adding a hand support to a Duo Gravis ----- there is one already designed into the original setup. I've added a small amount of padding to the curved bell brace to accommodate my large hand, but other than that I must compliment Mr. McCracken for his fine design !
jpwell

Post by jpwell »

I prefer the original over/under triggers. They work great for me.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I played a Duo Gravis in the late 70s. It was a school horn I was borrowing, and I was not a bass player. I think I had carpal tunnel symptoms relatively quickly. So I don't remember exactly how the setup went or if this would work on a King.

But FWIW, I'm now having joint problems in the left hand, and I'm playing my 42B with the cantilever support patented by Ken here. It completely eliminates the weight and it resists the rotational torque. It's a little clumsy getting on and off, but that might just be me.
JustinM

Post by JustinM »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:20 am Are they particularly uncomfortable?
It was the most uncomfortable horn I've ever held, much less played. It's made for people with hands the size of a bear's paw.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:20 am
Are they particularly uncomfortable?
No. Just different. Some players love them.

I think there are two primary issues: (1) DG's are on heavy side and (2) the double-thumb set-up requires you to have a thumb that extends way back. Like mine - if I give someone a "thumbs up," my fully extended thumb have a nice curved shape. On the DG, the middle of the thumb (near the joint) plays the first valve and the tip of the thumb operates the second valve. I guess there is also (3) the importance of having the heights of the two levers correctly set up for you.

But I thought the arrangement was brilliant until I started getting old and developing arthritis. Now I have different ergonomic requirements. It was painful selling my most recent Duo Gravis. What a fantastic horn. Play one if you get a chance!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I have found that the NeoTech hand grip works on all bass trombone setups very well.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
SGlong

Post by SGlong »

I use a NeoTech on my 50AF3, but adjusted to my comfort level causes 'chicken elbow'. (left elbow sticks out and after a while causes discomfort anyway.) I was thinking about switching to the Rath grip or the Edwards Bullet. Has anyone here tried these, and if so, let me know their pros and cons? Thanks!
jessejames

Post by jessejames »

I used the Rath Hand Support on mine and it worked wonderfully. I did have to loosen it to put the horn in the case. I never looked to see if a different case would accept it as it was. I was using a Shires case.
mikerspencer

Post by mikerspencer »

Resurrecting this thread to share a couple of photos of a Calderpips grip on a Duo Gravis. The grip only arrived yesterday, but seems good so far. Lots of support and I can access the triggers. They're based in Aylesbury, England.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

I'm not sure if the Get-a-grip will work for me. I'm thinking about an option for my Duo Gravis as well. I think what would likely work best for me is the Hagmann hand support, but it's unbelievably expensive. Therefore I'm hesitant. But when I tried it on another bass trombone by a colleague it felt soooo comfortable. Lately I've had some short "cutting" pain in my forearm when holding the Duo Gravis for long. So a handrest is in order (in addition with starting sports again...).
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

This other thread recommends the affordable Neotech for a Duo Gravis: viewtopic.php?t=13573
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

AtomicClock wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:06 pm This other thread recommends the affordable Neotech for a Duo Gravis: viewtopic.php?t=13573
Some good info, thanks! I wanted to order one of these anyway to try out and they're not too expensive.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

I have a calder grip for my other horns, I can try it on the DG. Thx.

Return to “Accessories”