George Curran thumb rest

Wilco

George Curran thumb rest

Post by Wilco »

What kind does he use? I do not recognize it
GabrielRice

Re: George Curran thumb rest

Post by GabrielRice »

It's the Shires thumbrest, now standard on all Shires bass trombones. It can be installed separately as well by a tech - the mount needs to be soldered on.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I think so. Best way would be to have your tech order the parts.
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

Schlitz wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:09 am Would the thumbrest be available, separately, for purchase? Particularly, for the non-Shires brand owners.....
Honestly the ax-handle by instrument innovations is pretty good.. No need for soldering.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

It probably is... but.... it connects to another part of the horn, which has an effect on response. I suspect the place of the shires rest has a lesser effect on the instrument
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

Wilco wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:13 pm It probably is... but.... it connects to another part of the horn, which has an effect on response. I suspect the place of the shires rest has a lesser effect on the instrument
I compared with my older shires and it is actually a quite brilliant solution. They must have used the thinnist bar possible (guessing the same thickness as the levers) for the rest. And they drilled a hole in the spring stay of the 2nd valve to attach the bar, so not making another contact point. I have sent an email!
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Wilco wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:55 pm
Wilco wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:13 pm It probably is... but.... it connects to another part of the horn, which has an effect on response. I suspect the place of the shires rest has a lesser effect on the instrument
I compared with my older shires and it is actually a quite brilliant solution. They must have used the thinnist bar possible (guessing the same thickness as the levers) for the rest. And they drilled a hole in the spring stay of the 2nd valve to attach the bar, so not making another contact point. I have sent an email!
That 2nd valve lever mount is a new machined part. The old part can't be modified that way. But they have a mount for the rest bar that can be soldered on just below it. I have two horns set up that way.
FEWeathers

Post by FEWeathers »

Thomann has a good pic of the Shires bass bone rest...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Accessories”