Trombone case/gig bag info needed

Bach5G

Trombone case/gig bag info needed

Post by Bach5G »

I have a Rath hand brace on my bass trombone. It is more or less fixed in place. As a result, the bell section does not fit into the Yamaha case, or, for that matter, a Protect Max case. At least, not without getting out the Dremel.

What would probably work would be a gig bag or case in which the bell section sits upside down (assuming the case is horizontal) with open space between the forward brace and triggers and the edge of the bell flare.

I have an Altieri double bag that does the job, but it's huge. Light though.

Any suggestions?
Matt K
Verified

Re: Trombone case/gig bag info needed

Post by Matt K »

I bet the Protect Platinum would fit it. I never thought a gig bag would usurp the Eastman cases but mine is super convenient and indeed does hold the horn on the side. I can possibly take pictures this weekend to show you but looking at it, I can't see how it could possibly not work.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

A Reunion Blues (Cronkhite) bag would work.

A Tuxedo bag would work. Not as good a protection as the Cronkhite.

I have a Gard bag that would probably work as well.

I can't think of a hard or semi-hard case that would serve your needs; maybe somebody else knows.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Matt K: Not bell section on its side - that’s how my Protec Max works. There’s a compartment for mpcs etc that the forward brace rests against that prevents the bell section from sliding forward. That’s where the hand brace would be.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

A single Altieri bag should do the trick. They aren't very expensive and made in Colorado.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Unfortunately Altieri is in the process of redesigning their brass cases.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Protec tells me it’s IPAC or Explorer might work. Anyone?
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

You may be able to find a vendor with a bag in stock. Dillon is out but WWBW might have one.
Tooloud

Post by Tooloud »

Cheapest solution: take a knife.
I use a K&H handrest and a BAGS-Basstrb-Trolley. Takes five minutes to make cut and glue the cover in place.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Solution found: Protec Explorer gig bag. $99, free delivery. Perfect. Exactly what I was hoping for.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Bach5G wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:47 pm Solution found: Protec Explorer gig bag. $99, free delivery. Perfect. Exactly what I was hoping for.
For anyone else who sees this and is looking for the same thing, if something fits in the Explorer it will also fit in the Protect "Platinum". The big difference is that the "Platinum" has the slide on the inside rather than the outside but where you place your bell is the same (actually, mildly roomier). Sorry I didn't get those pictures I totally forgot about it.

Return to “Accessories”