Best symphony orchestra straight mutes

Chatname

Best symphony orchestra straight mutes

Post by Chatname »

My orchestra has lots of old mutes but many damaged and some are not that great. Maybe we’ll get some new ones; straight mutes feels particularly important. Preferably one set wooden, one set metal.
Recommendations? Which are the best mutes nowadays?
Posaunus

Re: Best symphony orchestra straight mutes

Post by Posaunus »

For what it's worth, I'm impressed with the Denis Wick mutes. Straight mutes are typically the only ones required for symphony orchestra.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

The modern piece last week called for straight, harmon, cup, plunger and practice mute(!)...
But agreed, straights are the only ones needed for core repertoire!
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

Thanks for the tip, will look into those! Looks interesting!
How about wooden ones? Any ideas? I like them for the German stuff. Strauss
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

My favorite straight mute is the Stonelined aluminum mutes. Best sound as far as I'm concerned.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I still love my trusty Jo-Ral.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

I like the Humes and Berg (Stonelined) metal mute. Kinda heavy, but great intonation and a lot more core to the (muted) sound than most of the other metal mutes out there.

Side note, make sure you test your fiber/cardboard mutes thoroughly... I just played a concert and used one on a whim during a piece to help with a quick mute change. Turns out the mute doesn't work below the staff!
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

I like trumcore for fiber mutes, and jo-ral for metal ones in most cases
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

StoneLine tenor mutes don't like A or Ab on yhe bottom of the staff. My Wick straight doesn't like D below the staff, but I rarely need to play that in tenor parts.

For wood, check out Peter Gane. I have a Facet that I like, but they seem to have not caught on and the went down.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

Chatname wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:16 am How about wooden ones? Any ideas?

Trumcor Lyric
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:39 am StoneLine tenor mutes don't like A or Ab on yhe bottom of the staff. My Wick straight doesn't like D below the staff, but I rarely need to play that in tenor parts.

For wood, check out Peter Gane. I have a Facet that I like, but they seem to have not caught on and the went down.
The Stoneline mutes being suggested are the metal versions, not the fibre ones. They play through the range, and are not bad mutes, but are very heavy and make the horn quite front-heavy. The one that I have hurts my left arm/hand to use for any length of time. My usual go-to straight mute is my Joral - usually the copper bottom one.

Jim Scott
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

Metal: Copper bottom Jo-Ral
Wooden: Peter Gane
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
TonyNeal

Post by TonyNeal »

It's interesting the comments about Jo-Ral. I prefer them over the Wick too although I don't see many being used.
Tom Crown enjoyed a period of popularity but I still perfered my Jo-Ral.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I'm partial to Wick aluminum straight mutes. The bass trombone one responds better for me below the staff than Crown or Jo-Ral, and the (much!) more expensive ones available now don't really respond better or sound better to my ear. I particularly like that the Wick straights still have some mute rasp at lower dynamics. I like the Wick wooden straight mutes as well. And they're not expensive.

That said, I have lots of mutes. There are places I go where the section prefers Jo-Ral or Tom Crown (particularly copper bottom), so I have good examples of them to use if I need.

Marcus Bonna mutes were popular around Boston for a while, so I have a couple of those as well. They come in handy when you need a mute that actually makes you louder.
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

When the Humes and Berg aluminum mutes are mentioned, are we talking about the Symphonic (contoured shape) or the Philharmonic (bubble end)? I have the latter (actually just got it) and it feels pretty light in weight to me. As for playability low G is fine when blown straight through, and it has a great sound.

I have no experience with the Symphonic, let alone seen one in the wild.

Apologies for bumping this back to the top.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Kevbach33 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:47 am When the Humes and Berg aluminum mutes are mentioned, are we talking about the Symphonic (contoured shape) or the Philharmonic (bubble end)?

The one I like is this one (I've got the more traditional white and red version). New Stonelined Symphonic aluminum straight mute, In my 88h, it gets a little squirrelly at low D under the staff, but this is a tenor mute.

The H&B and New Stonelined appear to be the same mute, just branded differently. Not sure if that's true, but they look the same.

I had a Crown, and Alessi/Vacchiano and wound up selling them. I have a Wick, but don't use it. Just don't like them as much as my Stonelined aluminum.

https://www.wwbw.com/Humes-Berg-Stoneli ... vQQAvD_BwE

https://humesandberg.com/home-page/prod ... bone-mute/

Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

hyperbolica wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:08 am
Kevbach33 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:47 am When the Humes and Berg aluminum mutes are mentioned, are we talking about the Symphonic (contoured shape) or the Philharmonic (bubble end)?

The one I like is this one (I've got the more traditional white and red version). New Stonelined Symphonic aluminum straight mute, In my 88h, it gets a little squirrelly at low D under the staff, but this is a tenor mute.

The H&B and New Stonelined appear to be the same mute, just branded differently. Not sure if that's true, but they look the same.

I had a Crown, and Alessi/Vacchiano and wound up selling them. I have a Wick, but don't use it. Just don't like them as much as my Stonelined aluminum.
Welp, looks like I got the wrong mute for the Holton 168 I just got a few weeks ago... Time to spend more. :roll:

Thanks for confirming.

H&B just seems to have THE sound, no matter what mute you get. Looks like the Philharmonic (I also got the white and red version) will replace my Protec liberty small bore mute for my 6H.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:39 am StoneLine tenor mutes don't like A or Ab on yhe bottom of the staff. My Wick straight doesn't like D below the staff, but I rarely need to play that in tenor parts.

I drill a hole in the center of the mute bottom. It helps emmensly with those problem notes.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

bigbandbone wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:20 pm
BGuttman wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:39 am StoneLine tenor mutes don't like A or Ab on yhe bottom of the staff.
I drill a hole in the center of the mute bottom. It helps emmensly with those problem notes.
This. I have a black DW aluminium practice mute, which never worked well as such. It is essentially a straight mute with two small holes in the side, and a circular Cork. I re corked it like a straight, and the two holes make it the best straight I ever had. No wonky tones at all, it plays nice and secure from bb to the valve register, down to pedals.

Same trick with two small holes at the base of a cup mute makes it play well in all registers.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Denis wick aluminum works great with my 8HT in all registers.

The Yamaha (ugh) aluminum straight mute works great in all registers on my 6H.

When i had my 72H, the denis wick aluminum straight was awesome. The copper bottom tom crown works great on my 71H.

I bought a charlie Davis aluminum straight mute and it is crap. Only reason i bought it was because it was cheap and i want him to sign it.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I like my classic Tom Crown straight mute. Makes a really nice, loud noise with high overtones when I drop it on the floor.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:58 am I like my classic Tom Crown straight mute. Makes a really nice, loud noise with high overtones when I drop it on the floor.
I was told once the loudest percussion instrument is a trombone mute hitting the floor. Unfortunately, I have proven that theory more than once... :oops:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Accessories”