Wiseman cases?

Indiebass1993

Wiseman cases?

Post by Indiebass1993 »

Hello!

I'm just wondering if anybody has had any experience with the Wiseman cases? I have a few friends, not trombone players themselves, who swear by the cases. Looking at them, the way the slide is held makes my skin crawl. For those of you that have used them, did this turn into a large issue?

Thanks!
DougHulme

Re: Wiseman cases?

Post by DougHulme »

Surely the way they store both the slide and the bell 'in suspension' is one of their main (expensive) selling points? I havent owned one but often looked at them at various shows - seem nice people I always thought the casesw were brilliant but too expensive.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

Wiseman cases are very nice and well built. I went to their place in the suburbs of London a few years ago. Loved all the cases, carbon fiber was so light. Probably the lightest case I’ve ever tested. The wood and leather ones are so classy though.

I wanted Mr. Wiseman go look into a screw bell trombone case. Unfortunately none of his flat case molds would fit the dimensions of the trombone. He sketched out the whole horn on a giant sheet of paper, but couldn’t get it to fit, so he would’ve had to make a new mold.

Quite candidly, yet politely, he told me “I can build this for you, but the case will cost more than what the instrument is worth, so I suggest you find another case that costs up to 20% the value of this horn elsewhere.”

I really appreciated his honesty. Maybe one day I’ll get one for a traditional trombone though. My friend got one of his first carbon fiber tuba cases. Looks like a garbage can to me, but incredibly protective and as light as a gig bag!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

My wife had a Wiseman bassoon case. It was a nice case, but very, very heavy compared to the Marcus Bonna she replaced it with.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

I've know a few woodwind players who like them. For trombone, the fact that you have to rip open a nautical mile of velcro in order to get into it was a pretty big turn off for me.

Their new(er) carbon fiber cases look interesting, though.
pmeiden

Post by pmeiden »

I bought a carbon fiber bass trombone case a number of years back (I received it just in time to use it travelling cross country for the U of Redlands ITF). I like it a lot -- really light, comfortable as a backpack, and no issues at all with the slide.

I have an Edwards B-454, inline. When I first received the case, I needed to do a little trimming of the foam blocks in the bell section to accommodate the bottom bow of the F-attachment. Howard walked me through that on the phone, and when I traveled to the ITF, he did a little more customization to perfect the fit (including an adjustment to even better fit the slide and valve levers). Once you fit the horn to the case, nothing moves around!

Great service, and really happy with it.

(that was a good summer -- daughter was at school in Pasadena and doing research over the summer, I got to go the ITF by day and spent time with her by night, and the GBP had just crashed versus the USD - original Brexit vote - making the case a bit more affordable!)

Return to “Accessories”