Trombone hand grips

joetrombone

Trombone hand grips

Post by joetrombone »

Hey,

So I need a bit of advice about trombone hand grips. I've been suffering for a few months with tendonitis to the left wrist, and a sprain in my left hand. This has made playing very difficult and painful, and as I'm starting to recover slowly to the point where I can play a bit more, my physio has advised me to look into any options to alleviate stress on my left hand.

I'm aware of the neo tech trombone grip as quite a cheap option for hand support, however I've also read comments online that it won't fit a Rath trombone (I play an R3 medium bore). Can anyone verify this?

I also know Rath make their own handgrip, but these are quite pricy.

Is anyone aware of any other pieces of kit that may be able to help me, or just any other general advice about supporting hand injuries whilst playing the trombone?

Thanks, and happy new year!
Joe.
Gary

Re: Trombone hand grips

Post by Gary »

Will this help? Works well for me.
https://www.ergobrass.com/trombone/
Last edited by Gary on Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazytrombonist505

Post by Crazytrombonist505 »

I use the Sheridan get-a-grip on my bass. It's easily removable and can be tweaked a little to fit different horns and for preference. They aren't too pricey and might be worth a shot if you're interested.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Crazytrombonist505 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:43 am I use the Sheridan get-a-grip on my bass. It's easily removable and can be tweaked a little to fit different horns and for preference. They aren't too pricey and might be worth a shot if you're interested.
I've been using one too and it does take a lot of the stress out. It doesn't fit all horns (e.g. King DG) and you have to be careful to avoid holding the horn up with the slide, but it suits me.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Just bought a Neotech and am sending it back. On my 72H in a rearward position it gets in the way of the trigger. If I push it forward one hole it gets in the way of the fingers of my slide hand in first position.
tctb

Post by tctb »

I use a neotech on my R3 . I needed to cut away the top of the grip to allow for the screw fastener and to put a washer under the screw so that the T of the screw fastened away from the grip.
I can post a photo if needed,
If I had known trombones were this much fun , I would have got one sooner! :cool:
SlideBye

Post by SlideBye »

Doug Yeo has a very informative article here- http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/fa ... nsion.html

Maybe some of the alternative hand grip approaches would be of help for you. I use a Wise Grip with my instrument. It helps me hold my instrument more comfortably but I don't have any experience with tendonitis or sprains.
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

I use a Sheridan Get a Grip on my tenor. I have used it for years, on my Edwards first before the Shires, and then I had an Edwards Bullet Brace, but sold it with my Edwards since it wouldn't fit on my new Shires. I went back to the Get a Grip and I have had no problems yet. I had left hand tendon pains also, which is why I started using it.

I keep meaning to try a Wise grip for my tenor, but I keep forgetting about it.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

I use a Neotech Grip on my 6H. I have osteoarthritis in my hands and wrists, and almost dropped my horn once because of the pain. So it's a great solution for me. It does take a little practice getting your hand out quickly for mute changes.
I can see where it could be problematic for double valve basses. But works great on my straight tenor. It did take some tinkering to get it adjusted for my hand.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
jimtheob

Post by jimtheob »

Having a problem with the Get-A-Grip. I love it but it is always sliding toward me and getting in the way of the triggers, causing an incomplete activation of the valves. Anyone else have this issue? I was thinking of adding something to the slide to block it from sliding. See picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimtheob

Post by jimtheob »

I put a strip of self-fusing silicon tape to block the sliding. Seems to work so far...
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

After trying several options I settled on the Yamaha Strap for my 72H.
jimtheob

Post by jimtheob »

I use that on my King 4B but it did not work for me on the Getzen 1062; the strap kept slipping on my hand due to the weight of the horn.
Adampreav

Post by Adampreav »

Sorry to hear that, my recommendation would be in this order
Get a grip
Neotech
I would not get one of those that puts the weight on your thumb, can’t think of the name but I’m sure your know

Return to “Accessories”