Very sweaty hands

mickael57280

Very sweaty hands

Post by mickael57280 »

Hi, I have very sweaty hands and I feel likee I can't hold the trombone with a good grip and the more I loose the grip the more my conpensate with some other parts of my arm and my shoulder become very painful.

I tried holding the trombone with a rag but it get often squeezed into the slide.

Does exist some solutions ?
Kevbach33

Re: Very sweaty hands

Post by Kevbach33 »

Search for Leather Specialties. Depending on your horn there may be a leather hand guard available to you. It should have more grip than the metal and also protect the finish from any acids in your sweat. Certainly something to consider.

Good luck!
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Thin vinyl gloves?
micka572

Post by micka572 »

Tried the leather spécialité, not enough grip, I have think about a glove but sound odd...
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

With latex or nitrile (if you're allergic to latex) gloves, you'd have sweat running out at the wrists in short order. You might try thin leather/lambskin driving gloves, sometimes called chauffeur gloves, available on eBay. They usually have vented backs, and most sell for between $12 and $20, including shipping.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

You could try wrapping the parts of the slide that you hold with cohesive tape. It’s the athletic wrap that sticks to itself. No adhesive. I use it for my neck pipe. It’s has a texture to it, so maybe that would work? It’s like $6 at Dicks sporting goods. Cheap option to try.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

JLivi wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm You could try wrapping the parts of the slide that you hold with cohesive tape. It’s the athletic wrap that sticks to itself. No adhesive. I use it for my neck pipe. It’s has a texture to it, so maybe that would work? It’s like $6 at Dicks sporting goods. Cheap option to try.
I've done this for a long time 'cause I have high acidity. I use tennis grip tape. I find it doesn't stick to lacquer, which is good, but if your slide has some spots of raw brass, it'll stick to that over time, so I wrap a layer of clear packing tape around wherever I'm gonna put it first. Clear packing tape doesn't seem to leave any residue if you remove it later. It takes a few tries to get the tennis tape cut and measured right, but it's cheap, so buy a couple sets at first. I use a little bit of electric tape to tape the grip to itself at the ends to keep it on (never use electric tape on the horn itself; it's impossible to get off later). I redo the grip once a year or so when it wears out. It's designed to be used by sweaty hands (tennis players), so probably perfect for you. Plus you can choose fun colors!

The leather products I've tried have always been a pain to get on, plus they don't give a watertight seal since they're secured with string. The layer of packing tape plus the grip keeps all the moisture out.

The only downside is now I get recommendations for tennis gear on Amazon even though I don't play tennis.
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

It seems like a very good idea, do you have brand recommandations ?
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

mickael57280 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:46 am It seems like a very good idea, do you have brand recommandations ?
I think last time I just bought whatever had good reviews on Amazon. I think I got some of the Wilson tape. They usually come in a 3-pack.
Gary

Post by Gary »

micka572 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:42 pmI have think about a glove but sound odd...
Worked for Michael Jackson. :biggrin:
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Split Wire Loom Tubing makes a great cushion and lets air in around your fingers. That and a rag have worked for me for a long time.

Can be seen on the horn in the front on the right and the back left horn.
I have a curved brace soldered on by my tech.

The bass horn between the trumpet and the alto has the curved brace without the loom

Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Accessories”