Plunger size

mickael57280

Plunger size

Post by mickael57280 »

Hi, I read in the Al Grey Plunger method that he recommand a plunger that let see 2 inch of the inside of the bell, but is it 2 inch on both sides ?

If so the plunger must be very small like 4 inch.
BGuttman

Re: Plunger size

Post by BGuttman »

Most of us use a 6 inch (150 mm) toilet plunger on trombone. This works up to an 8 1/2 inch (210 mm) bell.

I managed to find a 7 inch (175 mm) plunger to use on my bass trombone, but I'd rather have an 8 inch (200 mm).

The Harmon Triple Play cup part is around 6 inches. The H&B Tuxedo plunger is larger I don't use the H&B because the loop doesn't fit my hand comfortably.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

I've used a pint beer glass on occasion when I've been caught short.
Doghouse Dan
I'm warning you - I have a trombone and I'm not afraid to use it!
jthomas105

Post by jthomas105 »

Check out this link. It looks like the standard toilet size plunger.

mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

Thank you, I have buy a standard 6 inch plunger, do you have solution for makin' it good lookin' round ?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

mickael57280 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 am Thank you, I have buy a standard 6 inch plunger, do you have solution for makin' it good lookin' round ?
Did you buy the older style one or the newer one with the rubber extension? The older style is what we normally use. Remember, you don't need the stick! :good:

There are a few mods that are commonly done:

1. Drill out the place where the stick screws in. You can then insert a coin so you can adjust the amount of sound that comes out when closed.

2. Cut away the material on the inside to make the outer edge thinner.

3. Sam Burtis used to file a couple of dents into the post that held the stick to make it easier to hold between your fingers.

If you want it to be a different color, some paints can work. Problem is, most will flake off pretty readily. If you look around sometimes you can find an odd color at one of those cheap goods stores (Dollar Store).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

I have the older style one.

Return to “Accessories”