Marcus Bonna soft case info

dembones

Marcus Bonna soft case info

Post by dembones »

Is anyone using the "Marcus Bonna Soft Case for Tenor Trombone"?

I'm interested to know how protective it is versus a gig bag or a hard case like the MB Super Light. What are the dimensions when closed? Also interested in it's suitability for a small-bore tenor.

Any info appreciated!
Don Mikkelsen
Burgerbob

Re: Marcus Bonna soft case info

Post by Burgerbob »

They're more protective than a gig bag, but not hard case protective. The top of the case (with the slide pocket) is soft (or at least softer than a hard case), so the whole thing can be compressed into the horn with an impact.

I'm sure a small horn would fit, but it's definitely designed for a large tenor. Might be a bit overkill.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
dembones

Post by dembones »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:34 pm They're more protective than a gig bag, but not hard case protective. The top of the case (with the slide pocket) is soft (or at least softer than a hard case), so the whole thing can be compressed into the horn with an impact.

I'm sure a small horn would fit, but it's definitely designed for a large tenor. Might be a bit overkill.
Thank you, Burgerbob, very helpful information!
Don Mikkelsen
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

dembones wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:53 am Is anyone using the "Marcus Bonna Soft Case for Tenor Trombone"?

I'm interested to know how protective it is versus a gig bag or a hard case like the MB Super Light. What are the dimensions when closed? Also interested in it's suitability for a small-bore tenor.

Any info appreciated!
I own one. The bell lies in a lined fiberglass tray. I'm told that it is the same bottom tray as one of the Bonna hard cases. The slide sits on the outside of the case with its own fiberglass cover.

I would not trust my horn in it anywhere near an airplane, even if I had guaranteed space in the overhead. I do trust it around town. Eliminating the upper fiberglass shell reduces the weight a lot. I see it as a good compromise between protection and weight, as long as the user keeps its limitations in mind.

The case is set up for large-bore tenors. I think something like a 3B would live there happily, but I'd move the pads around so the horn is properly restrained.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Dennis wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:01 pm I would not trust my horn in it anywhere near an airplane, even if I had guaranteed space in the overhead. I do trust it around town. Eliminating the upper fiberglass shell reduces the weight a lot. I see it as a good compromise between protection and weight, as long as the user keeps its limitations in mind.
I own the bass soft case and if anything I prefer flying with this case to the standard one! The soft case is even slimmer than the standard case and fits in every overhead I've tried. The case has just enough space to fit the appropriately sized horn and is slimmer!

I'm not sure if this is the case with the tenor case.

That said... As others have mentioned. Bottom half of the case is identical to the regular case. Top half is soft with a fiberglass slide thing on the outside of the case.

I have no problem throwing horns with thicker bells in the case but I do get a little sketched out with horns with soft bells. Since the case does have a little more give... if your horn is wider (think thayers or just a fat rotor section) and your horn has a really soft bell like on some vintage Holtons and Conns I can imagine my horn just getting completely crushed by some idiot not paying attention to my horn. Just be extra careful when lugging around the case. Still better than a regular gig bag and pretty cheap!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB

Return to “Accessories”