Anyone familiar with a Curtis Thumb Rest

Kingfan

Anyone familiar with a Curtis Thumb Rest

Post by Kingfan »

Looking at upgrading the Neotech on my bass. I was looking at Edwards Bullet Braces, but they are kinda pricey. Has anybody tried one of these? Curtis Thumb Rest.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
hyperbolica

Re: Anyone familiar with a Curtis Thumb Rest

Post by hyperbolica »

Yeah, I had one. They don't inspire a lot of confidence. They are plastic, I think. If you're a real minimalist it might appeal to you, otherwise get something metal. The big problem was that I couldn't tighten the screws enough to make it stable.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

hyperbolica wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:38 pm Yeah, I had one. They don't inspire a lot of confidence. They are plastic, I think. If you're a real minimalist it might appeal to you, otherwise get something metal. The big problem was that I couldn't tighten the screws enough to make it stable.
Thanks. That's what I thought might be the case. This would go on a King 7B bass that is pretty heavy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Pretty pricey for a piece of plastic!

I watched a video of a person fitting one. It would have been nice if one of the pieces had extended screw housings that would fit into the opposite piece instead of trying to hold two flat pieces together while screwing in a screw. The screws seemed awfully small too. They appear much smaller than those on my Neotech grip.

In the install video the installer had a small o-ring on the horn that the rest was placed over. Not sure how much torque that would hold. Perhaps a better idea would be a piece of double sticky tape.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

I used one for a bit. The only horn it would fit without slipping had no lacquer left on the receiver where the rest attached. Then one day (after not very long) it snapped. You pay your money, you take your chances...

If you fancy this kind of rest I highly reccomend the Greenhoe rest bar. (there are 2 sizes) I really dig the Greenhoe and use it on all large bore tenors, however I don't really like the ones that attach to the bell stay.

I've tried a few things on Bass, the Greenhoe as well. At the moment I'm having much success with a Sheridan Get a Grip and the Wisegrip together.
Ski001

Post by Ski001 »

Tried one on my 88H, didn't work well at all, and bell wouldn't fit well in my case with it on. Switched to an Ax Handle, which works extremely well for me-

Return to “Accessories”