Modular Practice Rooms?

Gary

Modular Practice Rooms?

Post by Gary »

Does anybody have any experience with modular, commercial Practice Booths? I am not looking for information on DIY booths, just commercially, pre-fab units.

I live in adult living apartments (Independent Living Facility) and really would like to practice, open horned, in my apartment. The majority of my neighbors are not exactly what you would call, noise tolerant.

I would appreciate any experiences you could share. Thank you.
jthomas105

Re: Modular Practice Rooms?

Post by jthomas105 »

Gary

Post by Gary »

Well, I know how to find them, LOL. I want to know what your experiences with them are. ;-D
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I’ve installed them (I’m an engineer with Army. )

The Wengers work really well and they are stinking expensive.

If your timing was right you might get one cheap from a military band downsizing. Matter of luck and being in the right place.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Timothy, what is your estimate, percentage-wise, of the level of sound reduction? Thanks.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I've walked through an Army band building with people practicing.

I could hear them but it was soft enough to not be offensive. I don't have any way to measure. My faulty memory says maybe equivalent to Muzak in an elevator or department store. I've also walked the Navy school of music at Little Rock and it's my impression those practice rooms were louder in the hallway than the Wengers were, but again it's been quite a while.

We have some military bandspersons on the forum and I'm sure they have all used Wengers, might get one of them to chime in.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Little Creek, not Little Rock. Different state entirely.

Those Wenger rooms are really isolating, it wouldn't bother anybody.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:55 am Little Creek, not Little Rock. Different state entirely.

Those Wenger rooms are really isolating, it wouldn't bother anybody.
Yeah, I totally had brain cramp!

Thanks for catching it.

About 10 years back there was discussion whether the Army should have their own music school vs renovating the kind of old facilities at Little Creek, and they sent me down to look at it. It was interesting to walk the halls past all those practice rooms, and hear trombone players hammering away at the standard pieces every trombone player would know.

Those rooms were concrete block IIRC and they weren't that quiet in the hallway, they must have been awful inside each room.
Gary

Post by Gary »

timothy42b wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:12 pm It was interesting to walk the halls past all those practice rooms, and hear trombone players hammering away at the standard pieces every trombone player would know.
Lassus Trmbones? :biggrin:
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I heard thoughts of love, a bunch of bordognis, blue bells, a couple of excerpts, etc. I don’t remember Lassus.

Return to “Accessories”