Handle grip for King 5b

Arnondb

Handle grip for King 5b

Post by Arnondb »

Hi folks,
I've been playing a straight tenor for the past 30 years or so and recently started to play a king 5b. I like it as a secondary instrument and have started to practice bass trombone technique (I know, I know, it is a half inch short in the bell...)
My problem is that once I start to use the trigger excessively, my left hand hurts at the base of the thumb.
I thought that a grip handle could help me.
What is your experience with the handles? Which is recommended for the 5B?
BGuttman

Re: Handle grip for King 5b

Post by BGuttman »

Is it set up so you hold it like you hold a straight tenor (thumb over bell brace)? If that's the problem it might be that you have to press too far to actuate the valve. You (or a Tech) could adjust the string linkage so that the lever is closer to your thumb and thus you have to press a little less. Or you could build the thickness of the paddle using pieces of cork.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Arnondb

Post by Arnondb »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:11 pm Is it set up so you hold it like you hold a straight tenor (thumb over bell brace)? If that's the problem it might be that you have to press too far to actuate the valve.
Yes, I think this is actually what happens.
afugate

Post by afugate »

Arnondb wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:05 pm
BGuttman wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:11 pm Is it set up so you hold it like you hold a straight tenor (thumb over bell brace)? If that's the problem it might be that you have to press too far to actuate the valve.
Yes, I think this is actually what happens.
I bought an early era 5B for our daughter. She sounds fabulous on it, but also has problems with the trigger. Part of the issue is location. The other challenge is the trigger is much narrower than the trigger on her other King horns. That narrowness by itself wouldn't be awful, but the trigger is also set further away from the brace. It's like just 1/3 of the trigger is present, the part furthest from the brace.

When the pandemic has subsided, I think I'll bring the horn to Eric Edwards to see what he suggests for her dainty hands.

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Accessories”