Wall mount stands/hangers

andym

Wall mount stands/hangers

Post by andym »

Has anyone used the String Swing wall mounted trombone stand?
https://www.stringswing.com/trombone-wall-mount/

Or does anyone have ideas about other wall mounted trombone stands or hangers?

These would be used for alto through large bore tenor with F but mostly small bore straight tenor these days. And I plan to put a fleece sock over it to allow moisture to wick out.

Thanks for any advice.
The user formerly known as amichael on TTF.
Elow

Re: Wall mount stands/hangers

Post by Elow »

Unrelated but i actually used the model pictured in the photo - Bach tb200b
andym

Post by andym »

Probably more people on this forum have used the tb200b than the wall mount stand.
andym

Post by andym »

In the face of uncertainty because no one had used one, I went ahead and got one of the String Swing trombone wall stands. It would probably work well as is but here are the changes I made to make it work better for me. I’m just posting this to capture the info for others.

The main complaint about this stand on Amazon is that the set screw that holds the bell support is mounted in rubber and seems weak. Many people don’t complain about this. I examined it when I got it and suspect that it is strong enough but wanted to make it even better. An easy and inexpensive fix could be to just put a hose clamp around the post below the bell support. Instead, for a few dollars more, I decided to use an 11/16” inner diameter shaft collar (link below).

But when I was playing with it, I realized that the post was the same diameter as the post on a K&M heavy duty trombone stand (K&M 14990) and I liked both the bell support and top cap better on that stand than the ones on the String Swing. So, I swapped them. That also makes it much easier to adjust the bell support for different horns. At some point, I will get new K&M parts for my K&M stand but Horn Guys says that they are hard to get at the moment. In the meantime, that stand isn’t getting much use and has the String Swing parts on it.

The String Swing comes with screws to go into a stud but not drywall inserts that come with their guitar holders. Because they really want these to go into studs because trombones weigh more. One of my screws went into a wood brace but the other needed some sort of drywall attachment. I used a 3/16” snap toggle. These have got to be my favorite toggles or moly bolts of all time. I did have to slightly drill out the holes on the stand but that was very quick. Link to the toggles is below.

I also have a fleece sock over the stand to protect the horn and wick moisture.

Final addition will be to put some split plastic or rubber hose on the edges of the stand to protect the slide in case I ever rotate the horn so they touch.

But in the meantime, I’m really enjoying having my horn out and ready to play. I haven’t played for a few years due to health issues and it is nice to be able to grab it for some quick embrochure development. The stand feels very secure and much safer than leaving a horn on a floor stand.

Climax Metal 2C-068 Steel Two-Piece Clamping Collar, Black Oxide Plating, 11/16" Bore Size, 1-1/2" OD, With 10-32 x 1/2 Set Screw https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00270W4R8/re ... YEbFNT35KQ

TOGGLER SNAPTOGGLE BA Toggle Anchor with Bolts, Zinc-Plated Steel Channel, Made in US, 3/8" to 3-5/8" Grip Range, For 3/16"-24 UNC Fastener Size (2 Packs of 10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZSWP5V4/re ... YEbH63QCYE

Return to “Accessories”