Something to save my wrist for edwards bass

Elow

Something to save my wrist for edwards bass

Post by Elow »

I recently got an edwards bass and it is extremely heavy compared to my last bass, so i’m looking for something that won’t kill my wrist after 30 minutes of playing. I don’t want to spend more than $100 but i can if necessary. If you have something for sale then please PM me.
Burgerbob

Re: Something to save my wrist for edwards bass

Post by Burgerbob »

Leather Specialties strap or Sheridan Brass Get-A-Grip.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Yamaha strap. $12.25 with free shipping.

https://dillonmusic.com/yamaha-trombone-hand-strap/
Last edited by Bach5G on Sun May 10, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bach5G wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:53 pm Yamaha strap. $12.50 with free shipping.
The only reason I don't recommend these now is that the updated model is very short- almost too short for a wide slide horn.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

The straps are a sensible starting point. Not very expensive and do a decent job.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bach5G wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:00 pm The straps are a sensible starting point. Not very expensive and do a decent job.
Yup, that's why I recommend the Leather Specialties instead.

https://www.lscoguard.com/bass-trombone ... strap.html
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’ve got one of each. :)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Me too! And I far prefer the Leather Specialties.

I had a Yamaha for a long time, and literally used it until it fell apart. My new replacement is much shorter and less comfortable. The Leather Specialties is real leather, very comfortable, and long enough to have wiggle room on a wide slide.
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

Lots of options these day, but a Greenhoe rest bar changed my life when I was playing my Edwards bass.

Andrew
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:44 pm Leather Specialties strap or Sheridan Brass Get-A-Grip.
What size Leather Specialties strap are you using? The only thing that's stopped me from ordering one in the past is that I'd be guessing at sizes...

Andrew
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

TheBoneRanger wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:46 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:44 pm Leather Specialties strap or Sheridan Brass Get-A-Grip.
What size Leather Specialties strap are you using? The only thing that's stopped me from ordering one in the past is that I'd be guessing at sizes...

Andrew
Honestly? No clue. I think I got the medium one... each side measures, from the very end, 1 foot. Based on the one I have, it would fit any hand size on a wide slide.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

TheBoneRanger wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:46 pm

Andrew
Better question is how big are your hands? I have small hands and the bass small strap is perfect. Fits my basses with only about 2 inches of velcro showing. Medium should be good for most hands and the large of course for gorilla hands.

The small strap does fit wide slides but only if your hands are small. I think it'd be a squeeze for most people.

Also the small bore tenor straps are a completely different size and design. The bass straps are the way to go for both large tenor and bass.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Nothing will save your wrist except an Ergobone. Everything else is still just redistributing force on the hand, and that force still has to go through the wrist to the rest of the arm. Straps and grips only help your fingers. The fingers certainly need help on a bass bone, especially an Edwards. But to isolate the wrist you need something more involved.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:13 am Nothing will save your wrist except an Ergobone. Everything else is still just redistributing force on the hand, and that force still has to go through the wrist to the rest of the arm. Straps and grips only help your fingers. The fingers certainly need help on a bass bone, especially an Edwards. But to isolate the wrist you need something more involved.
I developed tendinitis in my wrist, AND I had tennis elbow that was not caused by playing but was aggravated by it, and the Leather Specialties strap keeps both from coming back. I've tried the Ergobone, and I couldn't get over the awkwardness of it.

For me the strap works because it keeps my wrist straight. Once my wrist starts bending I'm in trouble.

A bar that contacts the back of the hand - like the supports from Rath and Hagmann - also take care of this, but they are more expensive and I don't like the way they affect the response of the instrument.

I have not been able to find a way to bend the Sheridan Get-A-Grip that doesn't take my wrist out of the straight-on position I need. I have students who use it very successfully though.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've found the best way to use the Ergobone is with the floor pole, which is an extra expense. I didn't like the chest harness or the seat post. Plus, I made some 3D printed parts that connect from the post to the horn and make it a little less awkward.

I also use the get-a-grip. That keeps your fingers from getting stressed. The finger stress may feel like wrist (or shoulder or elbow) stress, since tensing the fingers makes muscles on your whole left side tense up.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

There is also the Clebsch strap. Very similar to the Yamaha.
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I use the Rath brace when I need to be mobile... when I’m seated I use the Ergobone... it is the most amazing product!!! Saved me from hanging up the bass.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’m curious about the Wise grip as well.
braymond21

Post by braymond21 »

I used a neotech grip on my Edwards bass. It's a brace than others but I've always found it really conformable. It doesn't work for everyone but may be worth a shot.
Bryce Raymond
Owner/Repair Tech, Raymond Music
https://www.raymondmusic.com
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I have tried all of these suggestions except the Rath and Haggman rests.

For me, the Yamaha and Klebsch straps tend to pull the inner slides out of alignment.

I was never able to get the NeoTech trombone grip to fit well and balance the instrument.

I used an Ergobone for many years due to wrist and elbow tendonitis. I couldn’t play my old Edwards bass without it. I used the harness and the pole depending on the situation.

Since I sold the Edwards and started playing a customized Bach 50 (about 10 years ago), I’ve used the Sheridan Get-a-Grip successfully. But when my tendonitis acted up and I had shoulder impingement about 5 years ago, I went back to the Ergobone for a few months.

The most important things that have allowed to keep playing: play with a straight or neutral wrist angle, don’t allow the body to collapse to support the horn, and do exercises away from the horn to strengthen muscles and develop flexibility in the joints.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Gary

Post by Gary »

Do any of these devices help balance a valve trombone? Thanks.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I liked the GAG and would replace the one I lost but the border is closed and Newell doesn’t ship outside the US.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Gary wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:14 am Do any of these devices help balance a valve trombone? Thanks.
If you mean a trombone with an F valve, yes.

If you mean a trombone with 3 piston valves, no. Piston valve trombones balance best if held like a trumpet, with both hands on the valve cluster.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks, Bruce.

Return to “Accessories”