DIY Accessory bag?

Elow

DIY Accessory bag?

Post by Elow »

What does everyone use to hold their collection on mouthpieces and leadpipes and just general stuff? I use my case but theres only so much it can hold, plus i have a toddler running around so im constantly putting stuff higher and higher so i was thinking of going to home depot or something and grabbing some stuff to make a little accessory bag. Any thoughts, any experience? I was thinking it would be a fun project and useful
stewbones43

Re: DIY Accessory bag?

Post by stewbones43 »

Isn't it easier to put the toddler in a bag? :shuffle: :horror:

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Cheers

Stewbones
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Have you considered what Walt Barrett used to call the Mute Bag of Doom?

Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Elow

Post by Elow »

stewbones43 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:56 pm Isn't it easier to put the toddler in a bag? :shuffle: :horror:

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Cheers

Stewbones
I would if i could, plus she’d probably find a way out anyway.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

If thrift stores were not inessential then you could easily find something that would do it.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I highly recommend something with wheels.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Any hardware bag (like Bruce's rec' above) would work well. If you're looking to hold a trombone stand too, I can also thoroughly recommend a baseball bat bag - stand goes in the bat compartment, extra stuff in top (though it doesn't have separated pockets, so be careful).
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I did DIY for a long time... until I discovered the Protec mute bags. I bought one for my bass mutes and liked it so much I bought a second for my tenor mutes. They're the same price, or at least they were really close when I bought mine, so I just bought a second bass bag for the tenor mutes.

Basically this one but the bass version. Looks like Amazon is out of stock. I ordered from Hickeys last week and got it in like 2 days so ymmv depending on if you go that route. Shame the stock pictures are so bad. I'm a little busy but if you want pictures I can probably provide some this weekend.
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

I had a laptop bag for many years that my mom handed me down when I was 16 that had to have been from the 80s (before I was born!!), and I used it as a mute/music/stand bag for a while. It had an expandable middle section, so it could fit a straight, soft tone, cup mute, plunger, two big music folders, a trombone stand, and slide cleaning stuff in the side pockets.

I don't know what happened to it but I want a new one, it was nice having all my stuff in one place considering how I can forget things...
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

BGuttman wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:01 pm Have you considered what Walt Barrett used to call the Mute Bag of Doom?

I love this bag!
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Lacrosse bag
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Just buy a giant bottle of Crown Royal.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Whatever bag you use (I have a ProTec mute bag for my bass trombone stuff, and a sturdy duffel bag for tenor trombone accessories), choose one with one or more smaller side pockets. The mutes go in the large compartment; in the pockets I keep a tuner, lubricants, ear plugs, pencil, eraser, Scotch tape, small screwdriver, multi-tool with pliers, and a small battery-powered stand light.

Total investment: Not very much. (ProTec bag was a gift; Duffel bag was on sale at sporting goods store.)
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

MTbassbone wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:56 pm I highly recommend something with wheels.
I use a top-opening duffle bag with wheels. I carry a trombone stand, a music stand, music, and a stand light all the time. I have plenty of room for mutes, and I made some thick foam cushions to protect them from dents. When necessary, I can fit a tux, another trombone stand, and just about anything else. I think I spent $40 at a Fred Meyer (Kroger’s) about 10 years ago.

Other stuff, like extra leadpipes, mouthpieces I don’t use, etc., I leave at home. No need to carry the extra weight.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

tbonesullivan wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:59 pm Just buy a giant bottle of Crown Royal.
For multiple reasons, I highly recommend this. Duty-free coming out of Toronto was a great source of oversized liquor.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
Elow

Post by Elow »

MagnumH wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:32 pm
tbonesullivan wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:59 pm Just buy a giant bottle of Crown Royal.
For multiple reasons, I highly recommend this. Duty-free coming out of Toronto was a great source of oversized liquor.
I guess i have to mention i’m a high school student
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Elow wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:13 pm
MagnumH wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:32 pm

I guess i have to mention i’m a high school student
Ok, just find a friend who loves it, and doesn't want to keep the lovely purple fabric bag they come in.

Actually I'm pretty sure that Crown Royal now just sells the bags, but they aren't big enough for a gear bag.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
afugate

Post by afugate »

Depends on the accessories, right?

In addition to a couple of mute bags, I also have a leather tennis bag I bought for just a couple of bucks at a second hand store. It's perfect for rock band gigs where I just need to carry in my iPad pro/holder/stand and my bone stand. Plus it looks good when I carry it into the various country club gigs! :)

--Andy in OKC
pmeiden

Post by pmeiden »

BGuttman wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:01 pm Have you considered what Walt Barrett used to call the Mute Bag of Doom?

Hahah Bruce. Walt converted me as well when we played in a number of ensembles together on a regular basis. Just a minor correction -- the true and original Walter Barrett Mute Bag of Doom is the Bucket Boss Longboy!

The older version that Walt and I have has a couple of buckled straps on the outside that were intended to hold a long level, but are great for trombone or music stands. Its a great bag....but the photos of the newer one appear to be missing those straps.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

The exterior straps are gone. I have 2 of these bags. Very useful for many things.
Steve
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Elow wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:26 pm What does everyone use to hold their collection on mouthpieces and leadpipes and just general stuff? I use my case but theres only so much it can hold, plus i have a toddler running around so im constantly putting stuff higher and higher so i was thinking of going to home depot or something and grabbing some stuff to make a little accessory bag. Any thoughts, any experience? I was thinking it would be a fun project and useful
The bucket boss mute bag of doom. See above, but the long boy version is best.

Return to “Accessories”