Stand for Flugabone?

bwanamfupi

Stand for Flugabone?

Post by bwanamfupi »

I bought a King Flugabone from a pawn shop a couple years ago. I play it at home sometimes with my daughter, who plays french horn. Flugabone lets me play trumpet parts with her. I don't really need a stand for it, because I only play it at home. But if I wanted to get a stand, is there something I should look for? As best I can tell, K&M used to sell a bass trumpet stand, but it's not available anymore. Would the K&M flugelhorn stand work? It does fit on my normal trombone stand, but that appears to be pretty high off the ground (not sure why it bothers my with the flugabone and I accept as normal with my trombone).
Shawn Collins
Trombone hobbyist
Doug Elliott

Re: Stand for Flugabone?

Post by Doug Elliott »

The height wouldn't bother you if you were playing a gig standing up.

I would think any flugelhorn stand would work for the lower height.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I personally prefer my flugabone higher up then say on a trumpet-like horn stand. Something about having an instrument that close to floor scares me.

In my office I have a trumpet, flugbaone and my trombone all on trombone stands. It's kind of a funny sight to see.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
woodwinddesign

Post by woodwinddesign »

My reply is a bit late, just became member of this forum.
WoodWindDesign builds carbon stands for all kinds of brass instruments, also the lesser used, like bass trumpet or cimbasso. Personally I did not know about the existance of a flugabone, (I hope you are not offended by my name...) but having checked the internet, I guess my carbon bass trumpet stand will do fine for this. Weighs about 80 grams but is more stable than you can imagine, fits inside the bell for transportation.
You can check the stand here : https://youtu.be/EMMG_J3yurw.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Just to clarify, the term "flugabone" is often applied to the various marching trombones out there. Generally a valved instrument with a trombone-sized bell. Your bass trumpet stand should work OK. If the instrument in question is a valved baritone horn, the bell is larger and an adaptation of the bell holder may be needed.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

My flugabone stands fine on its bell, currently in our front garden as a gnome, warning woodwinds what sort of house this is.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I have an Alto Flugel-horn and the K & M Flugel stand works great.
My Alto Flugel has an 6 1/2 " large throated bell too
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I always just used a regular trombone stand for a flugabone type thing.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Any instrument with a trombone bell is going to work best on a trombone stand. You could probably get the non-heavy duty K&M stand and maybe have it cut down if it's too tall for you cheaper than getting something custom made.

It probably seems "too tall" because on trombone the place you grab the instrument from the stand (at the slide grip) is significantly lower than the place you have to grab a flugabone on the same stand.

Return to “Accessories”