Stuff to hang horns on

Elow

Stuff to hang horns on

Post by Elow »

Someone pointed out that laying horns out on the ground probably isn’t the best way to keep them in shape so i was wondering what you guys have to hang your horns up. I have a small little storage shed for all my horns and it has metal walls. I have a lot more than trombones but i mainly only care about my trombones. I would keep them all in a case but i don’t have enough cases. I’ve just been put them on the carpet to try and limit scratches but hanging them up or having them mounted on something is probably better. I’ve got 2 basses 4 tenors and 1 euph that i would like to have hung up.
BGuttman

Re: Stuff to hang horns on

Post by BGuttman »

Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Just use a trombone stand. Most of the wall hanger devices I've seen people use lean the slide against the wall, with the weight of the bell pushing the bottom of the slide into the wall. No bueno.

Keeping your horns in a metal storage shed = no bueno.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:06 am ...

If we are talking about a collection of violins or oboes, I'd agree with you. Brass instruments are relatively immune to temperature excursions. A long as the shed doesn't leak there should be few problems (except for how the shed is loaded).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 am
harrisonreed wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:06 am ...

If we are talking about a collection of violins or oboes, I'd agree with you. Brass instruments are relatively immune to temperature excursions. A long as the shed doesn't leak there should be few problems (except for how the shed is loaded).
Hanging on a wall with no case? What about massive humidity changes, spores, and insects?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:37 am
BGuttman wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 am

Hanging on a wall with no case? What about massive humidity changes, spores, and insects?
You ever march in a parade with a trombone? :tongue:

The humidity changes are bad for wooden instruments. Not so much for metal ones.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I suppose it all depends on what sort of shed we're talking about. I mean, this is a shed:
shed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elow

Post by Elow »

It’s pretty much like that except it has an ac unit.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Honestly? Spend the money on solid cases (I recommend SKB) instead, and a couple good trombone stands (K&M) for anything you do want to leave out. The wall hangers are often more trouble than they're worth if you're not a music store, both to install and for reasons outlined above by harrisonreed.

Personally, I've never been a fan of leaving horns out of their cases when they're not being used (with obvious exceptions such as breaks between sets). Inside the case, very little can go wrong; outside of it, it's anyone's guess - it only takes one idiot (or stray squirrel getting into the shed, or one playful cat as happens in my house) and your horn can be ruined. The only thing I leave out on the floor is my 70yr-old sousa, because it's not like that can look any worse.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
Briande

Post by Briande »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
Elow

Post by Elow »

Briande wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:35 pmImage
That’s perfect, did you make it or buy it?
Briande

Post by Briande »

Made it. It’s a 2x8x10 inches long. 2 hooks on each side 1 inch apart (94 cents each at Home Depot) and a shelf bracket from Home Depot. Originally thought I could get by with 1 hook on each side but you need 2 for stability.
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
Briande

Post by Briande »

Return to “Accessories”