How to use a sshhmute on Tenor and Bass

euphobone

How to use a sshhmute on Tenor and Bass

Post by euphobone »

I just got a sshhmute to compare it to my 1st generation silent brass. First thing I confirmed was what I had seen posted before was that the tenor mute will not fit in a bass bell (but the older models do?). So I added about 4 layers of this self-grip athletic tape. BOOM! problem solved, and easily removable with no sticky residue. Fits in both my King 4B and Duo Gravis now!

Some initial things I have noted about the sshhmute vs the Silent Brass:
1. More free blowing, results in a little less muting (with and without tape). I like the feel of the taped mute better in the 4B than with just the cork. Maybe that is a result of the mute being a little farther out?)
2. The Silent Brass mutes the DG quite a bit better than the taped sshhmute, but I like sshhmute blow better.
3. Some very live pitches for me were D and C in the staff, bottom line G, and Eb below the staff (on both the 4B and the DG)
4. Pedals are more free blowing on the sshhmute. Mid range is good on both. Upper register feels about the same.
5. Obviously sill plays sharp, tuning slides are about twice as far out.
6. The sshhmute is much lighter, but the athletic tape added noticeable weight. The taped sshhmute weighed a little over 6 ounces compared to the Silent Brass 8 ounces. The sshhmute still felt better balanced since the added weight is inside bell, and not hanging out of the bell like on the longer Silent Brass.

Just my observations and $0.02. I'm gonna keep working on the sshhmute and decide if I want to return it, sell it, or keep it and sell the silent brass. Let me know what you think.
20200623_233335.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raul Escobar
1974 King 4BF Silver Sonorous
1972 King Duo Gravis, Hammond 20BLL
1985 Willson 2900BS
Burgerbob

Re: How to use a sshhmute on Tenor and Bass

Post by Burgerbob »

I've played most of the practice mutes, including the tenor and bass Sshh. My favorite and go to is still the original Silent Brass. Most even, best intonation, and it actually feels like I'm playing my instrument.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

I prefer the shhhn mutes for both tenor and bass, but you have to use the newer bass version, it has better pedals.
SKAzz

Post by SKAzz »

I love the Sshmute. Works great for late nights in an NYC apartment. I haven't tried the taping, but I will. I tend to not play over Forte with these as I feel my chops change shape a bit above forte with both Ssshmute and my Silent brass.

Return to “Accessories”