New Bach Case Issues

Hobart

New Bach Case Issues

Post by Hobart »

In a stroke of luck, I bought my friend's case for $10. It's from a 2015 Bach Soloist, and is that boxy kind of case with the carpeted insides and the fabric cover.
Should I be wary about using this case? I heard a rumor that early cases had glue that would wear down the lacquer, and just today I saw a post about how they hold moisture which causes red rot. It's not a bad case and I have a use for it, but I don't want to destroy a horn in the process.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Briande

Re: New Bach Case Issues

Post by Briande »

You paid $10. If you are worried at all chuck it.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

About the glue: There are two things from the glue that could give you the problem you describe: evaporation of a solvent or a byproduct of the cure. In either case, they don't last forever. You can hasten the process by leaving the case open in the hot sun or inside a locked car on a sunny day. Or you can just leave it open for a week or so to let things calm down.

As to the moisture, if you put the horn away wet moisture will accumulate in the lining material. This can happen with any case. Make sure you don't put the thing away wet and you should have no problems.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:07 pm As to the moisture, if you put the horn away wet moisture will accumulate in the lining material. Make sure you don't put the thing away wet and you should have no problems.
Great advice, Bruce.
Before you put your trombone to bed overnight (in its aired-out case):
• Drain the slide moisture,
• swab inner and outer slides "dead dry,"
• swab the bell section with an HW Brass-Saver,
• remove attachment tubing moisture as possible, and
• wipe the bell and slide exterior dry with a microfiber cloth.

Yes it will take a few minutes of your precious time when you're probably tired, and you will have to re-lube the next time you play it, but lube is cheap compared to the cost of a trombone. I expect my horns to last indefinitely if I follow this protocol.
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

I have a 90's (pre-strike) Bach case that came with my 42T. In over 20 years, I do not have any premature lacquer wear or red rot, and certainly none as a result of the case. I do notice this on the 80's style cases that were similar in design.

Return to “Accessories”