F Attachment Tuning Slide Mods?

HawaiiTromboneGuy

F Attachment Tuning Slide Mods?

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Just curious if there would be any benefit in changing the type of brass used on the F tuning slide? I know most manufacturers are making main tuning slides in different alloys and it got me wondering if there are any companies that are currently doing the same for F tuning slides?
Drew A.
Professional bum.
Elow

Re: F Attachment Tuning Slide Mods?

Post by Elow »

Instrument innovations has two options for the F attatchment tuning slide legs, brass and nickel-silver. My yamaha euph has some type of nickel tuning slide legs. Pretty sure king student model trumpets have the same thing. I’m sure changing the crook material couldnt be too hard and would have some effect.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Edwards has been combining alloys in their F-attachment sections for years, most notably on their Alessi Model which is now the T394-AR Model. That particular model has gold brass on the 90 degree bends and the small 180 degree bend. However, they kept the large 180 bend and the inner tuning slide tubes in yellow brass. I believe the new Shires Alessi Model has a mixture of yellow brass and gold brass in the F-attachment section as well.

I'm sure that both instrument makers did a lot of experimenting with mixing parts to find the desired sound and feel that Joe Alessi was looking for. I find it interesting that those two companies offer options to "darken" the sound of the F-attachment notes with alloys of higher copper content. Meanwhile, Mike Olsen at Instrument Innovations sells nickel tubing components for F-attachment sections which will brighten the sound and possibly result in a quicker response.

I think the alloy in the F-attachment is a matter of personal preference and the possibilities are endless. I have a couple of horns that certainly play brighter and slightly more edgy on F-attachment notes. Changing a piece of tubing here or there to gold brass might be a good option for those horns. I also have a horn that is a bit dull on some F-attachment notes. Possibly replacing 1 or 2 pieces of tubing with nickel components would add more zing to that horn. So many great options for the modern trombonist!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Elow wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:05 pm Instrument innovations has two options for the F attatchment tuning slide legs, brass and nickel-silver. My yamaha euph has some type of nickel tuning slide legs. Pretty sure king student model trumpets have the same thing. I’m sure changing the crook material couldnt be too hard and would have some effect.
The inner slide tubes offered are brass and the matching outer tubes are nickel-silver, not two different options as you're thinking.
MK Drawing would be a place to ask about different materials for crooks.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

Return to “Accessories”