Duo Gravis: New Case Suggestions

euphobone

Duo Gravis: New Case Suggestions

Post by euphobone »

I just got my trigger linkage split on my DG, (best thing EVER for my paw) and now it doesn't fit in the original case due to the new D lever. I am thinking the Protec iPac Tenor case may work, if you have any experience with these cases, please share - or any other cases that won't break the bank. I'm hoping to stay near the $250 price range.
Raul Escobar
1974 King 4BF Silver Sonorous
1972 King Duo Gravis, Hammond 20BLL
1985 Willson 2900BS
BGuttman

Re: Duo Gravis: New Case Suggestions

Post by BGuttman »

I have my 7B in an Altieri bag. Slide protection is great but bell protection so-so.

If you can find a King 7B case, your 6B will probably fit. Particularly if it's the older one from the early 1980s. I have one I'm not using, but I can't get out to ship it to Texas.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Elow

Post by Elow »

I’ve got an altieri gig bag that i used for an 8B for a bit and it worked great. No problems, nice protection but like bruce said, the bell isn’t as protected as a hard case. I’ve got one for sale well in that price range if you’re interested
euphobone

Post by euphobone »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:22 pm I have my 7B in an Altieri bag. Slide protection is great but bell protection so-so.

If you can find a King 7B case, your 6B will probably fit. Particularly if it's the older one from the early 1980s. I have one I'm not using, but I can't get out to ship it to Texas.

Thanks. I think I know the cases you're talking about. Could you send me some pictures of the case you have? I'd be curious to look at the interior again.
Raul Escobar
1985 Willson 2900BS
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Altieri has been redesigning their line of brass cases for at least 5 years. Every time I heard about one of their cool cases (especially their double cases) I would go to their site and be met with the same apology about how they can't make cases. The "gigantic mute compartment" was the best feature and the slide compartments looked great.

Did yours just come through the shop, Elow?
Elow

Post by Elow »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:46 pm Altieri has been redesigning their line of brass cases for at least 5 years. Every time I heard about one of their cool cases (especially their double cases) I would go to their site and be met with the same apology about how they can't make cases. The "gigantic mute compartment" was the best feature and the slide compartments looked great.

Did yours just come through the shop, Elow?
I got one when i bought my edwards and then bought another one from a forum member and then another on ebay. That pouch is really nice. I’ve used it when packing for road trips, i can usually put my pillow, blanket, and computer and ipad in there and still have room for my music and accessories. I imagine you could fit a mute there, but i’ve always just put the mute in the bell and it fits just fine.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Before you spend the money on a new case try re-blocking the old case to fit. Case blocking is pretty easy.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

bigbandbone wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:37 am Before you spend the money on a new case try re-blocking the old case to fit. Case blocking is pretty easy.
I don't think that's an option with the rectangular case used for the 4B, 5B, and 6B (Duo Gravis). The slide compartment is on the side you need to remove to make space for the split trigger. When King introduced the 7B and 8B case they had to deal with a split trigger formation and the slide compartment was moved to the hinge side of the case to allow more room for the Gb trigger. They also changed the shape of the case to look more like what Edwards uses. People would ask me if I had a Euphonium in mine.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
euphobone

Post by euphobone »

bigbandbone wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:37 am Before you spend the money on a new case try re-blocking the old case to fit. Case blocking is pretty easy.
I have considered that. It does not seem that it will work. Not enough room for the bell to shift or tilt.
Raul Escobar
1985 Willson 2900BS
PVH

Post by PVH »

I bought my Duo Gravis used and it came in a bam classic bass trombone case.

That case fits the duo gravis extremely well. The horn fits securely and bell bracing is well supported to protect the bell from a hit.

The case itself is really light but it would seem to offer all of the protection one could want. It is a just a bit bulky though.

My case appears to be a slightly older model with attached straps rather than bam’s newer detachable straps. I don’t know if that makes any difference in the interior.
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

I haven't had the triggers split on mine yet, but it currently resides in an Eastman Fiberglass case. I think it'll be fine after I get the triggers done.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I just depress the second trigger a little and it goes straight in the old case. Means the valve is half open/half closed and although resting against the side of the case there is still room for movement one way or another so no risk of damage in case of an impact to the outside of the case... Doug
jessejames

Post by jessejames »

I had a Duo Gravis with the triggers split and used an older Shires Bass case that fit it perfectly.
It was one of the cases with the velcro attachment on the side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Accessories”