Trombone Stand

jcemu07

Trombone Stand

Post by jcemu07 »

Looking to buy a used UMI Precision Trombone Stand. Ideally the one with the feet bend at the ends like in the image. I am aware of the one on Amazon but read on other posts here that the stand received was not the same as in the picture.
51zOzd5AM9L._AC_SY679_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jcemu07 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Josh
Bass Trombone - Vincent Bach Stradivarius Model 50
Euphonium - Hirsbrunner HBS 378
sacfxdx

Re: WTB - UMI Precision Trombone Stand

Post by sacfxdx »

Steve
jcemu07

Post by jcemu07 »

I did come across the Amazon posting but read on this forum where others ordered from Amazon but the item received was not what the Amazon picture shows.
SteveFoote

Post by SteveFoote »

Hickey's is selling one made by K&M.
King 3B Silver Sonic, Olds Opera, Conn 72H
jcemu07

Post by jcemu07 »

Thanks. I'm trying to find a bass trombone stand. I tried out the UMI one by K&M and it worked well but... hoping to find something that would fit in my bell that isn't the high cost carbon stand from Woodwind.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You can replace the dome in most trombone stands with a toilet plunger if you drill out the hole for the stick. I also put a metal plate resting on the collar under the dome to add some strength to the plunger. Worked great for my bass trombone, even if it did look a bit odd.

Incidentally, I did it with a Hamilton.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
jthomas105

Re: Trombone Stand

Post by jthomas105 »

Look at this...

https://www.musicarts.com/mainline-trom ... ain0027969

I bought one like this on Amazon 2 years ago. Fits a bass trombone bell really well. The part that supports the bell is more robust and supports more bell than any other I have seen, the rubber part on top is also bigger and fits the larger throat of a bass bell better. I have a Holton TR181 and it seems much more secure than on this kind below that I also have.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Trombon ... 085&sr=8-4
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The Mainline stand you showed is very similar to a Jupiter stand I picked up in Australia (1990).

The Jupiter stand came apart when the cane tip came off and the cone disappeared.

I repaired it like the Hamilton I mentioned above. I still use it.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I understand cost can be a factor, but, would you play the cheapest mutes available regardless of sound? Would you use a gunney sack to transport your bass trombone in, or perhaps a cardboard box? Of course not. So save your money till you can afford the best equipment. The K&M Trombone stands are excellent, but if you want something that stores in the bell of your horn that is a superior piece of work, go for the stand that The Horn Guys have from Woodwind Designs. It's fantastic. I have the tenor trombone, bass trombone, and euphonium versions. Yep I spent some bucks, but my axes are worth it.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
jcemu07

Post by jcemu07 »

ssking2b wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:32 am I understand cost can be a factor, but, would you play the cheapest mutes available regardless of sound? Would you use a gunney sack to transport your bass trombone in, or perhaps a cardboard box? Of course not. So save your money till you can afford the best equipment. The K&M Trombone stands are excellent, but if you want something that stores in the bell of your horn that is a superior piece of work, go for the stand that The Horn Guys have from Woodwind Designs. It's fantastic. I have the tenor trombone, bass trombone, and euphonium versions. Yep I spent some bucks, but my axes are worth it.
All good points. After looking at K&M stands and messaging the Woodwind Designs guy I am definitely leaning toward the carbon stand. Could you post a picture of your bass trombone on the stand?
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I'll post a picture this week.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

IMG_3457.jpg
IMG_3458.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

IMG_3460.jpg
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

IMG_3464.jpg
So there you have it! Best bass trombone stand I have ever owned. That is my XO 1242RL bass trombone sitting on it. It's not a light horn. Dual bore .561/.571 with gold brass bell and standard XO rotors.
jcemu07

Post by jcemu07 »

ssking2b wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:59 pm IMG_3464.jpg

So there you have it! Best bass trombone stand I have ever owned. That is my XO 1242RL bass trombone sitting on it. It's not a light horn. Dual bore .561/.571 with gold brass bell and standard XO rotors.
Thanks very much for posting the pics. I am definitely going with the Woodwind Design!
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

You won't regret it!
jcemu07

Post by jcemu07 »

ssking2b wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:51 am You won't regret it!
Woodwind Design bass bone stand arrived. Took a bit to figure out and had to reattach the top tube that I popped off but loving it!
Last edited by jcemu07 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Interesting Marketing for this stand... its MUCH cheaper in the States than it is in Germany where its made!... Doug
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I did the same thing when I got mine...put the top back on after figuring out how it works! And to Doug H - I think it's made in the Netherlands - but probably cheaper here in the US since the Horn Guys shop orders 8 to 10 at a time.

I also suggest you can drape a Crown Royal Whiskey bag (large) over it and that helps suck up water drips, etc. I'm using the WWD stand made for tenor bone, made for bass bone, and made for euphonium on my horns - with Crown Royal Bags on each. Next - the tuba stand if he gets one designed. These are the best stands I have ever owned!!
jcemu07

Post by jcemu07 »

ssking2b wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:09 pm I did the same thing when I got mine...put the top back on after figuring out how it works! And to Doug H - I think it's made in the Netherlands - but probably cheaper here in the US since the Horn Guys shop orders 8 to 10 at a time.

I also suggest you can drape a Crown Royal Whiskey bag (large) over it and that helps suck up water drips, etc. I'm using the WWD stand made for tenor bone, made for bass bone, and made for euphonium on my horns - with Crown Royal Bags on each. Next - the tuba stand if he gets one designed. These are the best stands I have ever owned!!
ssking2b - is it 3 tubes you can adjust for height or just 2 tubes? I actually got a blister on my finger trying to get the rubber rings moved down to reattach the tube. The video he makes it look so easy to move lol. I'll definitely look to get a Crown Royal bag.

Doug H I got mine from Dillions Music.
Josh
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Wow - I didn't know Dillon's had them. When I got mine only the Horn Guys had it. My bass bone stand has 3 tubes, my tenor stand has 2 tubes. The rubber rings are tight as a **** you know what. That's pinch the split he cuts in the ends of the tubes tight to hold everything up by friction.

Here's a suggestion...I have 3 bass bones but only one I carry these days and use this stand on...so...I got the stand set up and adjusted to the heights I wanted on the main tubes and the bell supports for the horn carry (the XO) (keeping the end of the slide very low - about a finger width from touching the floor) then I took a file and carefully scratched the tubes to mark how far to pull them, and marked the height placement of the rings to adjust the bell supports. Now when I take it out of the bell I can pull it all out tho the right lengths, and adjust the bell holders to the right height with out even putting the horn together and setting it on the stand. When done I assemble my horn and it fits every time! I suppose if I use a different horn I could make additional scratch marks, and would have to remember which mark went with which marks - but that's no big deal. Did the same to my tenor stand. Makes set up really easy. The euphonium stand adjusts a little differently.
jcemu07

Post by jcemu07 »

ssking2b wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:26 pm Wow - I didn't know Dillon's had them. When I got mine only the Horn Guys had it. My bass bone stand has 3 tubes, my tenor stand has 2 tubes. The rubber rings are tight as a **** you know what. That's pinch the split he cuts in the ends of the tubes tight to hold everything up by friction.

Here's a suggestion...I have 3 bass bones but only one I carry these days and use this stand on...so...I got the stand set up and adjusted to the heights I wanted on the main tubes and the bell supports for the horn carry (the XO) (keeping the end of the slide very low - about a finger width from touching the floor) then I took a file and carefully scratched the tubes to mark how far to pull them, and marked the height placement of the rings to adjust the bell supports. Now when I take it out of the bell I can pull it all out tho the right lengths, and adjust the bell holders to the right height with out even putting the horn together and setting it on the stand. When done I assemble my horn and it fits every time! I suppose if I use a different horn I could make additional scratch marks, and would have to remember which mark went with which marks - but that's no big deal. Did the same to my tenor stand. Makes set up really easy. The euphonium stand adjusts a little differently.
Yea I burst a blood vessel in my one finger trying to get the rings off. Good idea about putting a notch on the tubes so you know what height to put them at. I had to ask Gijs which tube moved because in videos I see people pull from the tube with the block. So initially I was doing that. I might try a bit of painters tape to mark where to set the height on the tubes. Btw I used an old black dress sock to drape over the top.
Josh
aboumaia

Post by aboumaia »

Last edited by aboumaia on Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Interesting idea with the plunger and mic stand!
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

And putting an old sock on the horn stand works well, too. I just like to have something on a horn stand to absorb a bit of the condensation inside the bell
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The Hamilton "Bone Sock" is a very good accessory:

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Bone-So ... B003VYBD4E

Attractive. (Looks more professional than an old black sock.) Soft. Absorbent. I use one on each of my trombone stands. I reserve my Crown Royal bag to drape over my trombone bell as a sort of bell mask / semi-mute.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:02 am The Hamilton "Bone Sock" is a very good accessory:

Attractive. (Looks more professional than an old black sock.) Soft. Absorbent. I use one on each of my trombone stands. I reserve my Crown Royal bag to drape over my trombone bell as a sort of bell mask / semi-mute.
I use these too. They dry out well and look better than an old sock/crown royal bag from an audience standpoint. They also are fitted to the stand better. I don't think they would fit as well on the Woodwind Design stand that some have endorsed in previous posts here.

Jim Scott
jcemu07

Post by jcemu07 »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:11 am
Posaunus wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:02 am The Hamilton "Bone Sock" is a very good accessory:

I use these too. They dry out well and look better than an old sock/crown royal bag from an audience standpoint. They also are fitted to the stand better. I don't think they would fit as well on the Woodwind Design stand that some have endorsed in previous posts here.

Jim Scott
I thought about getting the Hamilton bone sock but wasn't sure if it would fit on the WWD stand hence using the sock. Can anyone confirm?
Last edited by jcemu07 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aboumaia

Post by aboumaia »

Last edited by aboumaia on Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muschem

Post by muschem »

jcemu07 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 am
CalgaryTbone wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:11 am

Jim Scott
I thought about getting the Hamilton bone sock but wasn't sure if it would fit on the WWD stand hence using the sock. Can anyone confirm?
I don't have the bass version of the WWD stand to check, but the tenor version just arrived in the mail today, and I just so happen to have Hamilton bone socks to test with. If the bass version has a larger support ring than the tenor, then that may or may not present a fit challenge, but the diameter of the top tube fits in the bone sock pocket just fine.

Here's the K&M and the WWD stand, without socks:
IMG-3672.jpg
And this is what they look like with the Hamilton bone sock on:
IMG-3671.jpg
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't use a sock on any of my stands. They still work without it!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:09 pm Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't use a sock on any of my stands. They still work without it!

Sure they do, but if you leave the instrument on the stand all the time and don't let it cool down after playing some moisture collects on the dome and creates a ring inside the bell. If you never leave the instrument on the stand right after playing or if you mop it out before leaving it there you will never need the sock.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:11 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:09 pm Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't use a sock on any of my stands. They still work without it!

Sure they do, but if you leave the instrument on the stand all the time and don't let it cool down after playing some moisture collects on the dome and creates a ring inside the bell. If you never leave the instrument on the stand right after playing or if you mop it out before leaving it there you will never need the sock.
None of the stands I use have a simple "cup" like the old Hamiltons, they have ways for the water to get out in some way.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
jcemu07

Post by jcemu07 »

muschem wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:06 pm
jcemu07 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 am

I don't have the bass version of the WWD stand to check, but the tenor version just arrived in the mail today, and I just so happen to have Hamilton bone socks to test with. If the bass version has a larger support ring than the tenor, then that may or may not present a fit challenge, but the diameter of the top tube fits in the bone sock pocket just fine.

Here's the K&M and the WWD stand, without socks:
IMG-3672.jpg

And this is what they look like with the Hamilton bone sock on:
IMG-3671.jpg
Thanks for the pictures. This is very helpful. I sent a message to Gijs with the picture you have of the Hamilton bone sock on the tenor WWD stand. I do think the bass bone stand has a bigger supporting disc than the tenor stand. I think Hickey's Music sells the sock for like $5. I may get one to try for the heck of it. If it fits great, if not I'll stick with the dress sock.

Who did you get the WWD tenor stand through?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The pictures of the WWD stand make me sea sick, somehow! I know the angle is intentional but, woof.
jcemu07

Post by jcemu07 »

The markings on the tubes so you don't pull the tubes all the way out are so much clearer on that tenor WWD stand then my bass stand. I ended up using a small piece of painter tape to mark how far to pull the tubes out to fit my horn.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

The little felt stick-on slider pads you put on the bottom of furniture legs work brilliantly to lift a bell off the cup and allow the horn to dry.
Elow

Post by Elow »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:16 pm
BGuttman wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:11 pm

None of the stands I use have a simple "cup" like the old Hamiltons, they have ways for the water to get out in some way.
So if i put little holes in the cup for water to escape, i should be good?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Elow wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:32 am

I had a Hamilton that I repaired using a plunger as the cup. I put several lines of RTV silicone on the plunger to space the bell. Worked fine.

I also like baileyman's suggestion of the felt pads. I think I had a stand with similar pads once (but purposely made that way).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:14 am ... the felt pads. I think I had a stand with similar pads once (but purposely made that way).
There is an old plated steel stand some of the old guys have, three legs braced at the bottom, wood ball at the top on a spring, a ring of felt around it like Saturn, below that two crossed pieces of steel with wool felt pads.

With four legs it would still be brilliant even today.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Yup. But mine got wet in my trunk and rusted badly. I gave it to a percussionist friend of mine to modify into some kind of percussion stand. Its biggest problem was not being terribly sturdy.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Y'all are missing one salient point: getting the Crown Royale bag has definite perks - especially if you get the bag (large) with the whiskey inside!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

ssking2b wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:04 am Y'all are missing one salient point: getting the Crown Royale bag has definite perks - especially if you get the bag (large) with the whiskey inside!
But the bottle makes it hard to put the trombone on the stand :tongue:
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Well I guess you gotta empty the bottle...waste not, want not - just drink it! Maybe share it with your friends...
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ssking2b wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:02 pm Maybe share it with your friends...
Friends? Trombonists got friends? :horror: :idk:
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:13 pm
ssking2b wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:02 pm Maybe share it with your friends...
Friends? Trombonists got friends? :horror: :idk:
They have friends if they have booze!

Jim Scott
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Elow wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:32 am

I have drilled holes in my stand's cups. Doesn't affect the structural integrity of the cup a bit (drill between the inside support ribs).

I wish they would make a cup that had well defined vertical ridges on the horn side of the cup (horn rests on the ridges, air circulates/water drains between the ridges). Such a cup would work from a moisture mitigation perspective socked or un-socked. (and wouldn't cost a nickel more to make).

There is no good reason for the cup to form a seal with the bell. Ridges would hold the horn just fine and dandy.

Rubber/soft plastic discs could be glued to the cup to provide space for air to circulate.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

baileyman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:19 am There is an old plated steel stand some of the old guys have, three legs braced at the bottom, wood ball at the top on a spring, a ring of felt around it like Saturn, below that two crossed pieces of steel with wool felt pads.
I had one of those. (I'm a certified "old guy.") If I recall, it was nowhere near as good, sturdy, or stable, as modern trombone stands. (I have no idea where it is now!) :idk:

A good stand, even if it is a bit pricey, becomes a sunk cost, and is worth it to protect the much more valuable trombone that rests on it. I have several nice ones. :clever:
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:47 pm
baileyman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:19 am There is an old plated steel stand some of the old guys have, three legs braced at the bottom, wood ball at the top on a spring, a ring of felt around it like Saturn, below that two crossed pieces of steel with wool felt pads.
I had one of those. (I'm a certified "old guy.") If I recall, it was nowhere near as good, sturdy, or stable, as modern trombone stands. (I have no idea where it is now!) :idk:

Yep, I had one. No idea where it came from, and all these years later no idea where it went, but all the old timey guys had them, and they were never all that good. But you weren't a real gigging trombone player without it.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

FYI here's my stand:
stand.JPG
Here with a horn:
stand with horn.JPG
Here testing for proximity to sax players:
woah.JPG
I tried to attach a movie showing it knocked about without incident, but I cannot figure out this forum software. Anyway, you can see the felt pads for ventilation. And btw, slightly reconfigured this stand will hold the hugest contra.

Return to “Accessories”