Stravinsky The Rite of Spring: London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Simon Rattle (trumpet mutes)

AndrewMeronek

Stravinsky The Rite of Spring: London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Simon Rattle (trumpet mutes)

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Yes, I put this in "Accessories" because I'm linking this with a timestamp to usage of a "vintage" 1913 trumpet mute.

:pant:

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
robcat2075

Re: Stravinsky The Rite of Spring: London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Simon Rattle (trumpet mutes)

Post by robcat2075 »

It appears to be the bottom of a plastic water bottle.

So what is it really? Is it some sort of blown-glass oddity?
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
robcat2075

Re: Stravinsky The Rite of Spring: London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Simon Rattle (trumpet mutes)

Post by robcat2075 »

Well, here's Louis Armstrong with transparent something in his trumpet...

>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I'm pretty sure they're using a modified bottom of a plastic soda bottle, with something glued to the inside, presumably attached to some circular cork-like attachment that's hidden from view in the bell.

- Thelonious Monk
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Original Edison light bulb from 1913? They didn't last long in those days, so could have been recycled as trumpet mutes. :idk:
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

The LSO clip does look like water/pop bottles that have been cut down and had some cork or tape applied to the top. That spot in the "Rite" inspires some experimenting from trumpeters. It's very soft, but exposed, so I've seen players use whisper mutes, or regular mutes with cloth bags (Crown Royal) over the bells. Looks like someone came up with a homemade solution. Sounds good, and gets people talking.

Jim Scott
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Are they not the original model of Okuma mutes? They certainly look like it. I could ask Phil Cobb if you like (even though he's not using one in the utube) if you like?... Doug
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

DougHulme wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:21 am Are they not the original model of Okuma mutes? They certainly look like it. I could ask Phil Cobb if you like (even though he's not using one in the utube) if you like?... Doug
It does seem that the Okura mutes are available in clear plastic, at least for piccolo trumpet:
http://www.okuramute.com/
These appear to be practice mutes.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

People do use practice mutes as ultra quiet performance mutes occasionally. It has been said to me, mainly by euphonium players that I sound so much better doing that :)

Okura mutes when they first came out surely were using cut down plastic bottles before they upped the design features.

Doug
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

period instrument version

sf105

Post by sf105 »

jacobgarchik wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:18 pm period instrument version
Thanks for this. Last time I did it, I managed to get the section to try one sectional with smaller horns. I thought it sounded great but lost the vote. Also, we didn't have the little French tubas (now available from Wessex). I did manage to find a 4th trumpet doubling on a proper low Eb, which was better than trying to find a spare trombone player to sit around half the day.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

To be fair: I think that the muted trumpets in that LSO performances sound absolutely fantastic. It's an "interesting" solution that really worked!

- Thelonious Monk
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I wonder what is the reasoning for the water bottle mutes.

What are those doing that one of the endless myriad of already-available trumpet mutes doesn't do?
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

There are some YouTube videos of trumpet players making their own practice mutes out of water bottles with a couple of holes drilled in the top and bottom and a drinking straw inserted in the hole in the bottom. Inexpensive practice mute, that sounds pretty good. The LSO guys sound good on these - I'm guessing they felt that the sound and dynamic level of the plastic mutes was "just right". Why not? The other upside is that it gets everyone talking about their see-through mutes.

Jim Scott

Return to “Accessories”