Mouthpiece Buzzing tools

BrianJohnston

Mouthpiece Buzzing tools

Post by BrianJohnston »

Hi all,

I've seen a few buzzing aids that create a similar buzzing resistance to playing the trombone.

Warburton, Buzz-R etc...

Has anyone tried these? Are they good? Looking for a way to buzz with similar feel to the actual horn while on the road, or when I don't have access to my trombone.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
spencercarran

Re: Mouthpiece Buzzing tools

Post by spencercarran »

I have a Berp which is intended to go on the mouthpiece receiver. You could carry it around and use it as a handheld buzz tool. It has adjustable resistance, so you can pick a setting that matches closer to what you're looking for. It will never quite match the feel of the actual trombone, but it's certainly closer than buzzing on the mouthpiece alone.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

spencercarran wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:48 pm I have a Berp which is intended to go on the mouthpiece receiver. You could carry it around and use it as a handheld buzz tool. It has adjustable resistance, so you can pick a setting that matches closer to what you're looking for. It will never quite match the feel of the actual trombone, but it's certainly closer than buzzing on the mouthpiece alone.
A huge boon of the BERP as well is that you can practice holding the instrument and working the valves and/or slide like you would while playing.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

I was also looking for the same thing. Tried many, a Warburton one amongst them that could not play above F, and this one is the best one:
https://randefalkmusic.com/collections/ ... lowpartner

Light weight and with adjustable resistance. It does cap out at high Bb flat but that’s ok :)
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

A Focused Aperture Resistance Trainer (R Sauer design).

https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?t=2226
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

I've been using a Buzz-r for a few years now in my warmup, it's nice and offers a good degrees of resistance, it also really dampens the sound of your buzz and I've used even as a quick wamup while sitting tacet in multi-movement works. That being said, I think just buzzing into a piece of clear tube or leadpipe has helped just as much
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

NordicTrombone wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:09 pm I was also looking for the same thing. Tried many, a Warburton one amongst them that could not play above F, and this one is the best one:
https://randefalkmusic.com/collections/ ... lowpartner

Light weight and with adjustable resistance. It does cap out at high Bb flat but that’s ok :)
I have a Warburton Buzzard that I use with small shank mouthpieces, and find that the point where it starts to get "squirrelly" is above a high C.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I love the BERP - great tool!

Jim Scott
mbtrombone

Post by mbtrombone »

I have a very fancy version of a FART. It was made by my teacher at SFCM from an old Bonezilla Leadpipe from Shires. He drilled a hole in it (needs to actually be a little smaller, so it has some tape on it sometimes) and that was it. Mind you that is about $100. I have always assumed the same goal could be achieved with some copper pipe from Home Depot rather than a leadpipe...

It works far better than a BERP through and much better than any other buzzing aid I have tried. Part of the reason I think is because of the length of the leadpipe the second is the fact that the pipe will resonate more like parts of your horn because it is part of your horn.

Return to “Accessories”