Gard alto bag

MBeal

Gard alto bag

Post by MBeal »

Does anyone have experience with the Gard Mid-Suspension Alto Bag? In the specs they say it accommodates a 6" bell, but I'm only aware of a handful of altos actually have bells that small.
harrisonreed

Re: Gard alto bag

Post by harrisonreed »

I've asked the same question before and want to know about this topic too.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I have 3 Gard gig bags and I have nothing but good things to say.
My Tuba Bag is not a Suspension system Bag but the workman ship is wonderful and it`s held up incredibly well.
The other 2 are equipped with the suspension .
I just bought the small tenor leather gig bag for my Bach 8.
The Leather quality is really good. The straps are thick and really good . Heavy duty clips to hold the straps to the case. The Suspension system is a series of Thick Pillows (if you will) held in the case with Velcro .
And a Cone that fits into the bell to help keep it in place for security.
The Cone and the "pillows" can be removed and /or moved around the case for optimal stability .
I really like it. I`m considering removing the Bell cone just because I usually carry a practice mute in my bell.
I bought mine thru WWBW on Black Friday. Any time you can get a Leather gig bag of this quality for under $200
it`s a good day
Peacemate

Post by Peacemate »

The Gard Eco series (eco for economic) is also super great in my experience. Subjectively nice grey exterior, addon music pouch which is very spacious in the thickness, and mid-bag suspension. Feels decently safe for bus rides. All for around 100€, plus 30 for music bag.
Student in Sweden, usually looking for more trombones
MBeal

Post by MBeal »

I've only heard good things about the Gard gig bags. I'm just curious if a 7-inch bell will fit in the alto bags. Seems odd they would design a bag that most altos can't fit in, which makes me wonder if they're just being conservative in the published specs.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I am also really interested in the size of the Gard bag.

I ordered a Cronkhite alto bag probably 9 months ago (from Germany) and still have not got any update.
Now looking for potential alternatives. For me Gard looks like at least one of the best options. And much cheaper...

But just to mention this: I read a note on the Cronkhite page that explains their production issues quite well. So this should not be any kind of bashing...
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
sferg

Post by sferg »

I have this Gard Elite gig bag which came with an Adams AT1 - so this case does fit larger than 6". 27-ESK? (Not 27-MSK) It's adorable and has a snug fit, so I must be gentle when zipping it closed. The foam seems firmer than the standard Gard fare. Other altos might fit if I remove some optional padding. I haven't seen this case anywhere else, even from Adams.

hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

"I ordered a Cronkhite alto bag probably 9 months ago (from Germany) and still have not got any update."

Checkout Superfine Cases. Great product and fantastic service. Tom Rice is the guy you will deal with. Highly recommended!!
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

hornbuilder wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:56 am "I ordered a Cronkhite alto bag probably 9 months ago (from Germany) and still have not got any update."

Checkout Superfine Cases. Great product and fantastic service. Tom Rice is the guy you will deal with. Highly recommended!!
I got the case a few weeks ago.
Luckily I did not really need it in the meanwhile - not too many playing opportunities...
It's a great case, but the waiting was definitely frustrating!

I did consider Superfine cases, but I think they did not have an alto case at that point.
What I like about the Cronkhite is the quality and hopefully added safety of the internal slide compartment.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h

Return to “Accessories”