Anvil Bass/Tenor Case Build!

LeoInFL

Anvil Bass/Tenor Case Build!

Post by LeoInFL »

Picked up this Anvil flight case yesterday. This beast weighs over 45lbs empty (and it didn't come with wheels)! Bottom section is 9.5"H x 38.5"W x 13"D and this lid is 6.5"H. The padded interior is currently set up for a closed wrap, single-valve bass trombone.

The plan:
After the interior padding is removed, I'll add recessed wheels to one side of the bottom section.

The interior will be replaced so that a (max)10" bass bell section and a 8.5" lg bore tenor bell section will fit side-by-side. As you can tell from the photo, there's plenty of room for both bell sections in the bottom compartment. Even though my Olds P-24G has only a 9" bell, I will be future-proofing the case in the event I get a bass with a bigger bell (and open-wrap tubing) down the road. In between the bell sections I'll have a covered compartment with a snap closure for accessories (mouthpieces, etc).

The lid is deep enough that I can set it up to store at least 3 slides in vertical cushioned slots. I'll most likely include a few small slots in the lid to store 1 or 2 leadpipes and an extra attachment tuning slide.

I'll be posting photos as I make progress. If you've tackled this kind of project before, please post any tips or 'dangers' you've encountered.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-present)
SwissTbone

Re: Anvil Bass/Tenor Case Build!

Post by SwissTbone »

Looking forward to the day pictures! I have two left hands, so I'm interested in seeing how you go about it.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I have a similar case suitable for such a project, available free in Boston, local pickup only.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

baileyman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:00 am I have a similar case suitable for such a project, available free in Boston, local pickup only.
You mean you don't want to transport anvils any more? :tongue: :tongue:

Nice case for your Bach 9 :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Actually, with the per foot cost of a house, and the space it takes, the "free" price is a bit high.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I'd love to hear how you go about this. Keep us up-dated with details and lots of pictures!

Return to “Accessories”